Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:44:42 -0600
From:         Ben Cichowski <aquasheck@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Snow chains
Comments: To: Larry Himli <lhimli@aol.com>

If you're heading out this way, I'd say it would be worth the money to pick up a set of actual snow tires if you are worried about traction on snow and ice. Look for a nice open side tread.

IMO, buying a set of chains is only going to be of much use once you're already off the road (in a pickle for the most part) - a definite last resort. I keep a set of chains for all cars (even our 4WD Suby...which I have indeed used the chains on). Once you have officially entered "The Mountain West" (please read that with a booming echo), stop off at any Walmart....I can't believe I'm saying that....and they'll have sets with the rubber tension'ers (don't skimp on the rubber bands) for about $30 - they are incredibly easy to find out here. You can put them on without jacking anything up, or taking anything off...but I'd do a bit of practicing before you head out on your trip. There is nothing worse than being stuck somewhere "learning" how to put your chains on. Yeah, these aren't anywhere near as fancy as those Euro ones (those do look nice), but there are probably only rare occasions when I would consider putting those on in any situation other than a "last resort," and those suckers will cost you 3X's the money

- go with some good snow tires and a cheap-o set of chains...that hopefully your nice, new snow tires will prevent you from needing, just my .02.

-Ben

_________________________________________________________________ i’m is proud to present Cause Effect, a series about real people making a difference. http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/MTV/?source=text_Cause_Effect