Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:22:39 -0500
From:         Miguel Pacheco <mundopacheco@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Snow chains

> Also, I like having something to add when I need it-if I almost get stuck, > see something bad I need to get through,etc.. Then I can put the chains >on. If I had snow tires I'd have nothing to back me up when I did get >stuck. I use my 4wd the same way--leave it in 2wd most of the time, so I >can put it in 4wd to get out, or when the conditions get really nasty.

That just makes no sense whatsoever! The ideal is to ascertain just what road conditions/hazards you are about to tackle, and apply the tools you have available. In snow and icy conditions, 4wd will keep you out, it will not, in most situations, get you out of anything. When you go in, you are likely in a snowbank, a ditch, etc. I see plenty of people off the road and in a ditch, needing assistance, because they were in 2wd when they should have been in 4wd. In addition to putting themselves in jeopardy, they endanger others. Miguel Pacheco