Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:26:13 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Master Cylinder Diagnose
Comments: To: John Goubeaux <john@UCSB.EDU>

You've described a classic symptom of a master cylinder that has leaky internal seals, John.

Mike

John Goubeaux wrote: > Folks, > > Would the Brake Master Cylinder be responsible for the following > symptoms: Pedal is hard and there is no pumping needed to stop but if > pedal remains depressed, eg such as waiting at a stop light, and > allowed to move up and down slightly, it will slowly sink to the floor > over the course of several slight up and down pumps. I have re-done the > back brakes: drums, shoes, cylinders, and they are adjusted and bled. > I also see no fluid leaks fore or aft. > > Someone earlier suggested, as a check on the brake booster, to press the > pedal and hold and start the engine and confirm that the pedal sinks a > bit as a confirmation that the booster is working properly. I have done > this and it behaves accordingly. > > It seems pretty evident that the MC is starting to pass pressure, but > thought I would confirm before I replace another part. > > -john >