Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:59:56 -0800
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bad New Battery?
Comments: To: Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

I put a Sears battery into my 71 bus last summer. I was away on a cruise in my Vanagon last January and when I returned the battery in the 71 was flat dead. I managed to nurse it along for most of 2007 with frequent trickle charges but if left alone for too many days it would drop to less than 11 volts. Few weeks ago it went to 9 volts. Took it back to Sears. "Oh, those -- we no longer carry them." Hooked it to their tester. "Yep, bad battery."

So yeah -- you can buy batteries that use citric acid (as in lemons) instead of sulfuric acid.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR