Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:54:07 -0500
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: nuts in steering linkage and rack
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

All locknuts have a prevailing torque. Some are higher than others. What exactly are you talking about? You should use a beam or dial-type inch-pounds torque wrench to measure what the prevailing torque is when freely spinning the nut down, and then add that figure to the book requirement's torque specification to be able to fully achieve the final designed torque of the fastener. As a fastener is used, the locking tension feature (whether low-temp nylok, or high-temp crimped all-steel) will become less than the original. But, it's my personal experience that one or two re-uses is acceptable, as long as the locking feature still works well. It's easy to tell if it is still acceptable for re-use. The nylock ones get cut by the threads after several runs on and off, and lose their locking abilities very quickly. Exposure to high temps (usually engine or brake use) will melt the nylon and render the locking feature useless. All-steel locking nuts are either sliced (like castellations) and crimped inwards on the end threads to act like a wedge to squeeze the threads all the way around, or have smaller seperate area that is crimped on two sides to squeeze the threads on each side of the bolt. It is possible to re-deform the relaxed metal and re-use them indefinitely, but it's more trouble than it's worth and I can't recommend it. BTW, those complete engine hardware kits sold to the ACVW crowd, actually contain all the wrong types of locking hardware for use on a high-temp application such as an ACVW. In addition, the washers are not high enough grade to be correct for this application. Not at all good, can't recommend using them. This not new information, just a good time to mention it.

Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 11:07 AM Subject: Re: nuts in steering linkage and rack