Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:22:01 -0800
From:         Brian Jarvinen <brianvwagain@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Hall Control Unit and stalling

Well I beat an outbreak of the herky-jerkies this fall. It took a long time to find, because I had already been through this obscure problem once and failed to do the easy fix and didn't expect it to happen again.

One time around 100K miles my van died after hitting a moderate bump. While checking things out in the motor, I happened to jiggle the wires going into the Hall Control Unit (HCU) and the motor turned over - I had left the key in the RUN postition. I slowly determined that if I held those wires in a just exactly perfect position, the van ran fine. I am fortunate to have an extra van, so I just spliced in the other connector to the HCU and things have been great (sorta...) for another 150K miles.

What I failed to do and should have, is relieve the strain on this connection with a zip tie. Perhaps this would have fixed this problem the first time without a splice. But one zip tie around the wire bundle, up to the convenient wire loop on the HCU connector and problem solved.

Somewhere in the archives during this progress I read someone mention using zip-ties to help avoid wire stress and that was great advice!

I've posted that story before but without the zip-tie conclusion. You may want to add one at this location yourself.....

And while I've got the eyes of people wondering about potential problems with the Hall chip, I can remind you here that when it is hot out (the 'sorta' part), the heat sink behind that chip is really important, perhaps more so as the age of that chip gets up there. It is best to keep that heat sink clean, and just to keep it more efficient, you can use a handy substance called, appropriately enough, Heat Sink Transfer Compound. I got some at Radio Shack for 99 cents.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ