Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Dec 2007 06:32:03 -0800
From:         Brian Jarvinen <brianvwagain@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: how does the ignition switch work?

uggh. Salt. The last three weeks has been the first time my 84 has ever been in any salt at all. (Snow is now about 2 feet deep where I've been working, with a short 'off-road' experience of about 50 feet in the snow twice each day.)

So this morning with some nice dry pavement and no one waiting for me to get out of the way, I checked a lot of wire connections. The solenoid terminal looked like a mini volcano with the salt crystals built up on it.

One application of the automotive tool that I've seen get more cars back on the road than any other - a wire brush - and all is well again.

I'll probably still track down one of those plastic switches though; I'll probably do it at a junkyard because with one of those switches you could start most any Vanagon and probably several other VW Models as well.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs