Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:40:04 +0000
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 High idle/stumbling when engine cold
Comments: To: Ken Lewis <kdlewis@northstate.net>

Ken, I have tried the adjustment per Bentley many times and the problem I find with adjusting with the adjusting screw and slot is that you can adjust it properly, but when you tighten down the lock screw then it seems to go out of adjustment again. Then you have to loosen the lock screw again and then readjust, tighten and see if it is going to work this time, etc. I get sick of this scenerio. When you adjust it from underneath it is fixed and you don't have to keep fiddling with it. Also many vans that I have run into (because I work on vans from the North East) have the adjusting screws hideously rusted and when you go to try to use them they trash out on you. Again I find it simpler to adjust them with the minor tweaking. Finally my method will work even if the plastic cam is worn beyond VW original spec. In other words if the cam is worn down too far so that the adjustment slot doesn't give you enough adjustment to compensate. You may say, just go out and buy a new cam. Ho wever some early versions of this setup have a smaller cam that is no longer available so this is not an option. If you use my method your switch adjustment should be fixed no matter what the condition of these other parts in a matter of a few minutes.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Ken Lewis" <kdlewis@northstate.net>