Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Dec 2007 18:18:28 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: FIXED Re: horn not working after replacing ignition switch?
Comments: To: most david <dmost@yahoo.com>

Cool David, glad you got it fixed. Now just wait until sometime you put your key in the ignition, but you do it at a weird angle or something and anther key on the key ring gets between the steering wheel and column.....and it makes the horn blow. That'll give you a little scare the first time. Scott -----Original Message----- From: most david [mailto:dmost@yahoo.com] Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 5:06 PM To: Scott Daniel - Shazam; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: FIXED Re: horn not working after replacing ignition switch?

Hi Scott. Thanks for the reply. I just took the steering wheel off, checked all the (physical) connections, and put it all back together.....and now the horn works! One other thing that I did was to bend up slightly the electrical nub that makes contact with the steering wheel. It seems that if this nub isn't making good contact, pressing the horn button will do nothing. I think that this last bit did the trick. With a small baby in the house and another to arrive soon, I didn't have time to thoroughly test the circuits just now. In any case, thanks for the help.

David

----- Original Message ---- From: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 3:38:23 PM Subject: Re: horn not working after replacing ignition switch?

Well, you just access the circuit and test, starting at the horn. Two terminals. One has power on it ( all the time I think too, not just with the key on, but full time ) ...you check for 12 volts there. If it's not there, work on that. If it's there, you ground the other terminal- that should make the horn work. If it doesn't you figure the horn is dead, then remove it and try to operate it on just a battery by itself. If the horn works, then you work on why the rest of the circuit isn't supplying ground when you push on the horn button. Check your horn contact ring on the underside of the steering wheel, and check the piece that rubs on it. There is such a thing as an 'open steering wheel' too I think, that won't conduct for the horn function. It's an odd circuit and trickier to troubleshoot than a tall light say. Scott