Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:47:14 -0800
From:         Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon-era technology..love it,

Yeah, I know how ya feel. I swore - some time ago, - in all sincerity, tho - that I would never own a vehicle with fuel injection, or electronic ignition, because I coudn't 'fix' it if it broke. Now I am driving something that has BOTH! Most of the rest of the vehicle is still refreshingly primitive - er, simple.

Maybe my skills have grown since I made that declaration... ;-<P

"dhanson@gorge.net" <dhanson@GORGE.NET> wrote: So I've been really using my vanagon lately. We 'escaped' the northwest and are 'snowbirding' in the California desert until probably around March. My SO brings her horses along with her truck and trailer and we have a travel trailer as our main residence. I come down here later with my bikes and this year, my carpentry tools to help pay for all the fuel, etc.. I arise early to get to work while my SO comes home late from her job..So I have been commuting and cooking breakfast in the Vanagon as well as using it for a tool truck and taking weekend road trips to various bicycle routes. Recently, my defrost slider got weird, not seeming to move the needed flaps around right so I could get the steam from my coffee cooking off the windows to drive to work..So today I 'dove in' and fixed the thing.. I love the way the vanagon goes together..Clips, screws, clamps and cables. Stuff you can actually fix. The defrost cable had kinked due to a ham-fisted install on my stereo and it finally broke completely right near the lever at the heater control. So I popped off the heater cover, pulled the radio, unscrewed the glove box hinge and there it all was. I decided I could simply cut off some of the control cable housing and put a new Z-bend in the cable then re clamp the ends..It worked..Unlike most newer vehicles where I would have been to the dealer for new controllers, resistors, body panel clips etc. While I was in there, I fixed the 'hanger' on my glove box by replacing it with an old bicycle brake cable.. Don't try that stuff on a Gran Vitarra or a Ford Excrutiation... Don Hanson