Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:15:03 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clunking sound
Comments: To: Joseph Fortino <fortino1@earthlink.net>

I had an annoying clunk that usually--but not always--began when I started from a stop and quit at highway speeds. It took a long time to find, and even a brake shop inspection showed nothing. When I replaced the rear shoes, it went away. It was the same problem that Joe describes. I've also had CV joint problems, one episode while traveling recently had me thinking that the axle was going to fly off the car on the 250-mile trip home in the middle of the night. Scary, but I made it back.

One tell-tale sign of a CV problem is not only clicking while turning, but under strain. Accelerating uphill in the higher gears always seems to make them clack noticeably during the time the power is on.

Jim