Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Dec 2007 21:56:28 -0500
From:         robert feller <syncro.carboncow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: lost brake line...
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@comcast.net>

Ken (and others who can comment),

It was a safe location where it happened, but I am grateful it happened there and not on my 1hr drive home from work tonight in holiday traffic. As a matter of fact I was backing the van up at our house and slammed on the brakes because the dog ran out of the garage. I felt it go to the floor and knew my goose was cooked with a line failure! The previous owner mentioned replacing lines (he was also a professional mechanic) but I have not seen what he has replaced yet. With any luck it was the back. I have an email in toward him to clear up what is new and old.

Although there is very little DIY I won't attempt I have never had to replace brake lines. From your comments it sounds like a few more variables to fix then I actually have time for right now with two other cars in need of my repair. All these issues and delayed shipping (waiting on parts) for the holiday has made this a rough week to say the least! I'm going to have to drive my Porsche Boxster to work this week in the snow, boo!

I"m going to do more reseach based on your comments to figure out what the different flare tools are and why. This may be a job for my local mechanic if it look slike a PIA. Can this job be done with jack stands and or crawling under my syncro or does it require more room and a lift? I won't be able to get this to my work (where we have a lift) as it's to far away.

Can you comment where the left front (again a syncro) line (near the wheel bracket) will terminate into a valve body? Is thee a flex line from the hardline to the caliper to deal with? (I would assume). Will I ruin that trying to get the horribly rusty line off it?

Shawn