Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Dec 2007 23:01:41 -0500
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: lost brake line...
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

An ISO "bubble" flaring tool is what you need. This is NOT the same as a 45 degree double flare. There are three types of automotive flares. Single 45 degree, double 45 degree and ISO bubble flare. The correct tool to do ISO flares is harder to find and typically more expensive than all the other type of flaring tool sets, which are incapable of doing an ISO bubble flare. You can buy the lines too long and coil the excess, or cut to exact length and then re-flare the cut off end re-using your newly cut off end fitting.

Ebay/autopartsmart has the correct one for a decent price;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Metric-ISO-Bubble-Flare-Tool-Set-Nice-Quality-Warranty_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118QQcategoryZ35625QQihZ017QQitemZ270084640834QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

HTH,

Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Daniel - Shazam" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, December 24, 2007 10:05 PM Subject: Re: lost brake line...

Hey Shawn, you've seen Ken's post by now. Metric brake lines are 'findable' sometimes. A nice small bending too is nice to have. With luck you can find a 'bolt on' metric line of close to the right length. If it has to be a little too long that's fine if you mount it properly. And as ken said, using compression sleeve junctions is never kosher in brake lines. If you end up making a line yourself and need to flare the ends, There are two kinds of flare - single and double, or bubble as ken called it. A single flare tool costs 10 bucks, but will not work at all for your system. If you need a double flare end, sometimes you can get a shop with that capability to do it for you for a few bucks. Hopefully you'll be able to find a metric line of the right length and size.

And you should check all the other lines, though it might be hard o see through the rust and crude. Scott