Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Dec 2007 17:11:55 -0500
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How much is enough?  (Vanagon's about right for me)
Comments: To: "dhanson@gorge.net" <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

I happen to be one of those folks who now travel in a large RV. The largest is the Prevost H3-45 bus conversion and some equivalents. 45 feet is the max allowed and most states limit combinations to (Bus and Trailer) to 65 or 70 feet. I have 39 footer and I often tow the Syncro Westy behind me.

Why do we do it? Well the choice of an RV and it's size is like choosing a house. Many folks make do with a small apartment and others go for mansions. I guess it is a combination of perceived needs and what the finances will bear.

For me some of the thrill is the toys that go with it. I have done the progressive moves from the Westy to what is now motor home #3 and each upgrade was the result of short comings of capacity, features, or durability of the previous unit. I also frequently travel with 4 adults, (older in-laws) and kids (20, 11), make for 6. As for the jeep inside the trailer, I have seen escalades and motorcycles get pulled out. Someday I will have my antique car running and will use the motor home and an enclosed trailer to bring the car to shows and tours. That is what got us started on the motor home thing to begin with. The first one got us addicted with the comfort and convenience. Back when fuel was still under $2/gallon the increased cost was incremental. Now fuel really puts a damper on things.

Dennis Enjoying sunny Florida with the RV.