Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:27:55 -0500
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Overcooling Hypothesis--Long

Whoops, I mean 1500 rpms. Sorry for the confusion. Kenneth Wilford wrote: > Yes the injectors are only off above 2000 rpms on deceleration. Below > that they come back on. I have a digitool and have observed this myself > many times. So if you can somehow get the rpms down a bit this would > help (like having the engine at idle by depressing the clutch pedal > should work). > > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > www.vanagain.com > > Allan Streib wrote: >> Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET> writes: >> >> >>> Here's my idea. When you're coasting downhill, you're using the >>> engine as a brake. This means that above 1500 RPM, with the idle >>> switch closed, the engine isn't getting any gas, as the ECU has shut >>> the injectors down. If it isn't getting any gas, it also isn't >>> producing any heat. The engine is functioning as a brake, but there >>> isn't any combustion, and so, after a period of 10 minutes or so in >>> freezing temperatures, the coolant loses temperature, and your gauge >>> is way off the edge of the scale. >>> >> >> Makes sense. Not only is there no combustion but you are flushing >> cold outside air through the cylinders, which has a further cooling >> effect. >> >> >>> I tested this by going downhill, engine warm, and taking my foot off >>> the gas to coast. I could see the gauge move colder before my >>> eyes. Give it a little gas, and the engine warms up. This is kind of >>> tricky from a driving standpoint, but it works. >>> >> >> Now, repeat the experiment with the clutch in, so the engine is >> idling, not being overrun. See if it stays warmer. >> >> Allan >> >> >