Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:53:12 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air mass meters Go Westy
Comments: To: Jim Akiba <jakiba@bostig.com>

Hi, By stock based I mean a real street car, as opposed to a dedicated chassis or funny car. A regular street car, stripped some I'm sure, but nothing 'pure race' or 'pure drag race.. Yeah, ET"s don't mean that much to me but 173 terminal speed in the quarter sure does. I also relate to 0 to 60 times, which can be like in the 4's for street stock WRX's even.

Thanks for the eco tek page. I glanced at it some about ecu speeds and OBD-II etc. I'll study I more. I'm sure you familiar with off road dedicated tunable engine management systems. Sand rails run them. You could use on a vanagon if smog isn't a issue etc. If there's some 'limit' or technical electronic bottleneck, this would be the first I've heard of it. How are American guys getting up to 700 hp out of a turbo subaru 2.5. Doesn't sound like there's much limitation to me !! I know zero about pulling more out of stock subaru ecu's.. I admire power and technology and all that, but I build for reliability and fix-ability. Like any engine conversion I ever build for a vanagon, I want it to be that you can go to any dealer, or flaps, or junkyard and get an "X for a such and such year US model subaru' or whatever. I stay very close to stock, want everything easy to work on, easy to get parts for, and solid if not arty some. Bugatti is probably my hero in automotive technical design. Cost is no object, make it as elegant and robust as possible, and like mechanical Art. .............i think he built an inline 8 engine ( when cars had inline 8's ) with no head gasket, block and head in one piece.

On magazines, 'scope' wasn't that could a word. Style or intent might be better. You know, a regular 'car mag' .......they review hot cars. European Cars would be another. Flashy cars, terrible writing...........i think European Cars had some in correct technical pictures once.....i commented and they said 'well, there's only two of us on staff, what do you expect' ...anyway....those 'car mags.'

"My dyno would be the seat of my pants - lol. I don't need no stinkin' dyno !! < lol ! >

I've never tried to undo that SVX manifold thing. Too busy sorting out more important things. Where were you when I was going nuts trying to get this 98 Imprezza 2.2 engine to fire right off, instead of after 2 to 8 tries ? . Its' fixed now, but where were you about 10 days ago !? I'd be willing to try a stand alone system on a subaru. I think I'd really enjoy it even. But squeezing more power out of something has never been all that attractive to me. I like underdog cars even. I think it's cheating to use massive amounts of power to go fast. I prefer to use cleverness and driving skill. I like passing $ 40K SUV's in the snow in my 2WD turbo sedan Volvo that cost me about 300 bucks to acquire. That's my kind of fun. Nice talkin' with ya. Scott

On 12/22/07, Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > Hey there jim ! > I believe that's a turbo diesel AHU right at the top of my site.

Ah ok, sorry man.. I was seeing the svx stuff not the TD stuff.

> Ah, I forgot the east coast rust factor. I think if you search you'll find > there is near endless subaru hot rodding and upgrades, in both the street > rod world, and in the aviation world.

Yeah baby! You can get huge power out of them they LOVE turbocharging... SWEET...

> Quite a bit actually. A stock based WRX ran 170 something ( !! ) in the > quarter at Las Vegas within the last two years. Stock-based car, can you > imagine that ?!

"170 something" in the quarter... you mean trap speed? What does "stock based" mean?

> Also, you know they famous engine company, Cosworth, that cosworth, of > Formula One fame. They sell bolt on DOHC 2.5 heads that are built from > fresh castings, not modified stock units and these heads would be compatible > with 400 or much more hp.

You mean cosworth uk ltd, the folks that designed the zetec heads? Yeah I know em :)

> I can't imagine where you are coming from here : " not much is known in the > aftermarket about tuning the subie ecu's(not much is relative, they know > quite a bit, but the info is scare, and not easily accessible)" I don't' > know what you mean by 'accessible' maybe you're referring to the internal > mapping of ecu's which I would expect people who do that to keep fairly > secret, but I could put easily 50 links right here to all kinds of hop up > subaru stuff. There's GOBS of it ! > Ever hear of SubieSport Magazine ???

Not quite certain here of what you're talking about, here is what I'm talking about.

http://www.ecutek.com/tuning/history/

If you know of a more complete and accessible tuning solution for the subes.. let us all know.

> Similar in scope to Hot VW's and Dune Buggies ( which had a small pic and a > paragraph about my 1967 run in the very first Baja 1000 Off Road race, btw. > I ran my first car, a 56 chevy with 301 Chevy V-8 and 6 forward gears. )

Baja 1000... sweet...props dude... What do you mean is similar in scope?

> ..............and SubieSport is all about subaru's and performance. > There are MANY 500 to 700 hp WRX subaru's on the street. > So can't imagine what you are thinking saying there isn't much available.

Those are all standalone or piggyback setups... that isn't to say that you can't make power with a sube, you'll just be using.... piggyback or standalone to do it. Or you'll be paying ecutek prices to work with the stock ecu and trying to figure it out based on what they've deciphered. This is all available via google. If you want I can show you precisely what capabilities you don't have with the sube ecus via remote desktop.. or better yet when I'm there in May. The capabilities we have with other ecus(GM, Ford, D/C) will blow your mind if you think subie capabilities are good.

>On the SVX intake gizmo, yes, it's not a dual path, but as you say, dual > resonant, perhaps. I can only imagine it enhances low end in some small > degree without sacrificing high end - something like that. I shouldn't have > said 'dual path' . It's hard getting at the stuff under the intake manifold > with it on the engine, but it would be interesting to deactivate it to see > if it makes any difference in torque curve or drivability.

Yeah I bet you could see it in a dyno chart.. but what's that? Dyno? What? <--sarcasm

If you disconnect an svx IRIS solenoid can you feel it?

Jim Akiba