Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:08:03 -0800
Subject:      Re: I did the ultimate upgrade for Christmas!
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

For the Touareg there is the V6 gasser, V8 gasser and V10 Diesel. The V10 TDI gets better fuel economy than the V6 gasser by far. 10L to 11L per 100km on the highway is typical, which is about as good as my R-TDI Westfalia gets when I drive it at the same speed, with a lot less wind noise and driver fatique. At 160km/h the Westfalia is as stable as a drunk squirrel, the Touareg at 200km/h is smooth as glass - a definate autobahn cruiser.

I do agree that the V10 is a bit much, I would be happy for an R5 or V6 TDI - even though the car weighs in a 2600kg which is MORE than my Westfalia when empty. Supposedly for 2009 Canada is getting the V6 TDI, we are also getting the Tiguan which will also see the TDI as well... it will be an interesting next couple of years in Volkswagen TDI land.

David Marshall

http://www.hasenwerk.ca http://www.fastforward.ca

Box 4153, Quesnel BC, Canada V2J 3J2

On Sun, December 30, 2007 08:37, Dennis Haynes wrote: > I don't know about that. I spend almost 2 hours/day driving to and from > work. I recently acquired a 1992 Benz 600SEL. Yes V-12. I enjoy this car > so much that I look for excuses to drive it. Do I really need the power? > Heck no! But just normal acceleration is so smooth and that 5,000 pound > car actually feels nimble and I just smirk starting it up. And I often > enjoy not having to pedal it. Weekly gas impact is ~$20 if I do not do a > bunch of short trips as compared the Fox. Yes it is still wasteful but the > 16 mpg is no different than my Vanagon anyway. Yes, I took the Benz to > Florida at turkey time and it averaged 16.33 mpg over almost 3,500 miles > of driving some of it at high speeds. Hopefully that V-10 TDI will shine > in the fuel economy department. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Kim Brennan > Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2007 2:22 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: I did the ultimate upgrade for Christmas! > > A V10 as a daily driver. Sad, that is. > > > On Dec 30, 2007, at 12:49 AM, David Marshall wrote: > >> Actually Scott, notice I never said Westfalia or camper in my original >> statement. We bought this for several reasons - mainly as a daily >> driver for my wife so cooking bacon isn't on the top list of my >> priorities >> with this one. >> >> I have one metal box that hold all my >> camping gear like stoves, pots, dishes, fuel etc, sort of my GOOD >> box sort >> of speak. This could fit between the driver seat and rear seat if >> need be, >> >> We are getting a roof top tent for it for the few >> times we will be going camping in this car, when it isn't needed it >> will >> be at home. No use taking everything including the kitchen sink when >> you need to drive the kids to school right? >> >> With 750Nm of >> torque, it able to tow even my LT 4x4 with ease! >> >> The >> Touareg has lots that we were looking for and it would be over my dead >> body that we were to purchase a Ford / Dodge / Chev - besides none >> of them >> can touch the Touareg TDI for fuel economy and HNV - the Touareg is >> very >> refined and enjoyable to drive. >> >> I'm not dissing the the Vanagon >> in any way - they lots happens in 20 years of development. I have just >> have broadened my horizons to include things beyond the Vanagon and >> stepping into the 21st century with automotive technology. I'm still >> keeping my Westfalia Syncro and my LT 4x4 so I haven't totally jumped >> ship. >> >> Too bad that playground bully has to keep on >> turning up to throw sand in the sand box and try to turn everything >> into a >> pissing match. Not sure if he is envious about what he can't >> have or just a little left over grinch left in him from the >> holidays. >> >> David Marshall >> >> http://www.hasenwerk.ca >> http://www.fastforward.ca >> >> Box >> 4153, Quesnel BC, Canada V2J 3J2 >> >> On Sat, December 29, 2007 >> 18:28, Scott Daniel - Shazam wrote: >>> Exactly, and how many >> burners does the stove have, and what's the water >>> tank >>> >> capacity ? >>> Can you spell 'expensive motel' or 'camping out' >> ?? >>> !! >>> congrats though. If something happens to it, >> like somebody hit it say, >>> you'll be talking about putting the >> engine into a syncro van or the LT >>> truck. >>> Scott >>> >>> -----Original Message----- >>> >> From: Vanagon >> Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >>> Jim >> Arnott >>> Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:49 PM >>> To: >> vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>> Subject: Re: I did the ultimate >> upgrade for Christmas! >>> >>> And it sleeps how many? >>> >>> <someone had to ask....> >>> >>> >> Jim >>> >>> On Dec 29, 2007, at 1:42 PM, David Marshall >> wrote: >>> >>>> it is a >>>> fine replacement for >> the Vanagon in many ways. >>> >