Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:10:22 -0800
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Loose motor

Great Job getting this rolling again, yes you gotta love these vans is key..

Joe

-----Original Message----- >From: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> >Sent: Dec 31, 2007 1:46 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: Loose motor > >All right, you must be talking about the 'tie strap' that joins the bottom >of the two engine cradle bars. A simple strap of metal about 2 inches wide >and 2 and half feet long - easy to fab for any welder. > Since the ends of an 82's DV's engine cradle bars are mounted in >rubber......without this tie >Strap the bars will move, the engine will move up and down almost two inches >when you rev it, >And as we now know, this can put huge stress on the cast aluminum engine >mounting bracket bolts. > And..........i can't tell you the awful hack work I see in so many engine >conversion jobs. How people leave important parts off like this is beyond >me. How they can't see it's an important part, I just can't imagine. >Somebody somewhere decided to leave that part off. > There's a better way to build the whole thing actually, welding on the >cradle bars and eliminating the rubber bushings in the end, but that's whole >other story/project. > Least you know what's going on and you had the fun of keeping it moving >out in the field. Good goin' on that. Heck, just leave it for another trip >or two until you REALLY have to deal with it ! ;-) >Scott >www.turbovans.com >-----Original Message----- >From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >Michael Sullivan >Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 1:09 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: Loose motor > >Way to go MacGyver!!!! :-) > > > Yesterday I was running through the desert in my 84 Gas/diesel inline > four conversion and enjoying >the dips, then I came to a stop sign and noticed my exhaust note had > changed..The gear shifting was >not right, either, so I pulled over and crawled under to find the > passenger side of the motor was >hanging low...Hmmm!..So I tossed out all the stuff in the back hatch > area, after inspecting all the >motor mounts underneath.. > Now, this motor has always seemed a bit "loose" in the van, ever > since I bought the already-done >conversion about 30k thousand miles ago. I've repeatedly checked the > motor mounts, bought new ones >and stached em after I found the current ones to be just fine...I > simply assumed that it was normal >for the inline four to be able to rock around back there...Not great, > but perhaps just a poor design. > I found the right side rear cast aluminum motor mount had sheered the > mounting bolts right at the >block..leaving the right side of the motor hanging.....As I began > trying to see how to fix that, I >happened to find, in the Bently, a short 2 page write up on the diesel > motor install/remove...and >Whoa!..right there in the book it shows a thing they call the Engine > Support mount...Mine NEVER had >one...And I, for one, have never encountered any installation that uses > the oil pan as a stressed >mounting member..a weight-bearing part of the engine mounting set > up...It is kind of a transverse >strap, from rail to rail that the flat bottom of the diesel motor oil > pan just sits on...takes up >some of the weight, I guess and keeps it from rocking? We shall see... > So anyhow, I limped back to my campsite and using some construction > wood I had around and some >extra motorcycle tiedown straps...I have now a fine looking '2x4 engine > support mount'...Gotta love >the vans... > If I were home with all my tools, I could have done a permanent fix > with ease...but since I am >camping, I will have to depend on the local mechanics to try to > "easy-out" the broken mount bolts >out of the block, and to fabricate a strap to sit the pan onto rather > than my 'special' 2x4 racing >mount... > > Happy new year everyone, > Don Hanson > > > >Thanks, Michael Sullivan

Kind Regards, Joseph Fortino fortino1@earthlink.net yahoo mobile mail account: love2bike140@yahoo.com IM: love2bike1414@yahoo.com

Have a Great Day!