Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:56:58 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Injector Ordeal-OVER!!!!
Comments: To: Karl Mullendore <groups@WESTYVENTURES.COM>

I have a diesel westy here with 98 Imprezza 2.2 subaru engine in it. When I picked up the car the Throttle Position Switch had just been replaced : 240ish for the TPS and 500 ( ! ) smackers for labor - 800 something dollars.

After I got it home and really got into it, I found a simple wire splice pulled apart near the ecu for one of the 3 TPS wires. Do you suppose that was the real problem all along ? likely it was. It's EASY to do good work in a world of mostly in a hurry, throw parts at it shops and dealers. Things even go *downhill* changing parts sometimes ! And it doesn't matter what you pay either. Some shops are north of 80 and hour now, and that is zero guarantee you'll get good work. It's a joke really. Might right a book about it someday, cause most of the time in automotive repair and service work, you really don't get good work or a lot of real 'service."

Also the 'employee' system in general. There is no way you can get the results you can get by dealing with just One Guy, who hears the real symptoms, and who is going to be directly responsible to the customer for the result. With at least a service writer and a cashier between you and the actual technician.............lots gets lost, and you pay way more. And having employees to fix cars for you .................ack ! ............don't even get me started on that one ! That's a real nightmare. Typical story - Volvo not running quite right. Shop says 'we have to tune it up first for 250 dollars before we can diagnose it.' Just drives me nuts because that is so NOT really serving people. But it pays well ! ............and that's how shops make money, real money, they sell jobs like 'you need all new hoses ma'mn, and it's 800 dollars." ( and it's not even really needed, but they can 'justify' it, so they sell it. ) Then they slap on the hoses and fill the cooling system, and they make about 500 dollars in about 3 and a half hours. Hey, I should do more of that kind of work !! Scott www.turbovans.com