Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jan 2008 20:28:20 -0800
From:         Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: BZ Shelf
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@gmail.com>

Thanks, Craig. Would love to see your pics. I am thinking of doing the same things. Mine is a blank slate as of yet. The reason I was thinking of facing the seat backwards, on occasion, is to stop at the beach and sit in the back, BUT another member suggested that I move the middle seat to the drivers' side wall and face it out the sliding door for viewing. Sounds like a good idea, but I like the hardwood option. Suer glad I put it out there for other creative ideas before I make the same mistakes. Thanks, Michael.

craig cowan <phishman068@gmail.com> wrote: Definately doable, it sounds like your in exactly my situation, assuming your GL is not a camper but just a 7 passanger. My '85 started life as a 7passanger sunroof model, and has slowly warped into whatever it is now. To be honest, i'd much rather have a full weekender interior with a rear facing bucket seat and incorporated table, but what i have and will describe to you works. I got ahold of a 3-wide rear zbed (Blue Cordarouy). So, i retained the stock seating arangements but had a rear seat that could face forward or fold flat. There is no real reason or possibility in my mind to have the rear seat face backwards, and be driveable. You'd have to rework the locking mechanism, just so that you could have no leg room (remember, this would place your legs strait out infront of you!). I then, went about removing the middle seat and carpet, and "permenently" putting down a floating hardwood floor made of the snap together stuff i found for sale at Home Depot, cost me like $25 total. With a little cutting and welding, a swivel seat was added to the passangers side front seat (someday....drivers as well....and aux battery!), and a homebrew table was put inplace on the drivers side wall. However, the placement sucks, as it seems to be too far away from the rear bed, and way to close to the drivers seat (in this case, untill the drivers seat becomes a swivel seat, the other table occupant sits on the battery box bump, with the drivers seat in its most forward position.) The table was just a scrap of wood, covered in some cheap vinyl with staples on the bottom. Then, a trip to the hardware store lands you a pair of hinges, which....you install BEHIND the body panel, right at the top seam. This way, your "permanent holes", are invisible and easily made unpermenant again by just...removing the hinges and putting the body panel back on. Then, at the swing end of your table, you attach some kind of clever hole, that allows you to carry a removable leg (which you stash under the rear seat, theres storage under a Z bed!), and when you want the table, just like on many sailboats, you just pop the table up, stick the peg end of your custom leg (maybe its just a dowel rod? Mines spun on a lathe though : ) ) into the clever hole, and the other end braces itself up aginst the body panel. Vwala, table.

I also have a poptop over my sunroof. Don't do that.

I can take some pics if your interested. If this is the kind of thing your going for that is. I also have some sweet custom curtains and other handy camperish bits.

-Craig '85GL

On Jan 2, 2008 9:29 PM, Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@yahoo.com> wrote: I have a 91GL and was thinking about pulling out the center seat and installing a fold down table on drivers' side, but hesitate to remove stock seat and lose track of it AND making any permanent holes to mount. Do I have any options? Was also thinking about removing the third row seat and installing a type of futon or such to face fwd or bckwrd and lie flat as needed. Can this be done easily? Thanks, Michael 91 GL 'Gringo'

Thanks, Michael Sullivan

Thanks, Michael Sullivan