Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jan 2008 18:31:28 -0500
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dropped my motor...almost..

Ok, thanks all for the input. Seems like the cross-brace is not crucial, but does do something for the whole package. As I looked more closely at Bently, I now see another 'brace' for lack of a better description. This one seems to come along the passenger side of the pan, about 3" from the rear where the Oil drain plug is located and attaches to the pan, also. My pan has a casting to accept a through bolt there, but there is nothing in that hole, either. In the illustration in Bently, this bracket looks to attach somewhere along the front edge of the bumper? The drawback of buying an already "complete" conversion from someone far away...And it is not a help that I am on my first ever Vanagon, so I have not seen a complete one...So of course, I can't really be sure when something is not there on this one. Whatever, the van went in to the local shop today and I was encouraged to speak to the mechanic who was doing the work and to find him 'vanagon- savvy' or at least he knew the right words... I drove it about 15 miles to the shop with the motor hanging from some tie-down straps holding a two by four brace under the pan...It worked so well I almost blew off the real repair...not really.. Thanks, all.. Don Hanson