Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:35:23 -0800
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] VW Campers and Kayaks
Comments: To: davangie794@msn.com

Hi David,

Hauling kayaks (or anything else, for that matter) requires a bit of forethought and caution when deciding on racks and installation. It would put a damper on your day to see your kayak in the rear view mirror and probably not so good to whomever is driving behind you! So, I suggest making a SOLID connection to multiple points between kayak, rack and the van. There are several ways to do that with a Westy. The most solid connection is a rack that will attach directly to the metal rain gutter, but you can't pop the top without removing the rack, although Gary Lee has designed one that solves this problem. <http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/roof/ roofrack.htm>. Another way is to permanently bolt artificial rain gutters to the poptop which allows deployment of the poptop without removing the rack or contents. Lifting the extra weight is an issue worth thinking about. With a couple of kayaks, bikes, spare tire, etc. on top it becomes a 2 person job to pop the top. One begins to consider gas assist struts (search the archives for info on that). Since I bought into a Yakima rack system years ago, I decided use their gear and have been happy. I would suggest bolting on the 4 bolt bracket instead of the 2 bolt Side-Loader bracket for a more secure connection to the thin fiberglass. Getting the brackets mounted is a bit tricky, so measure twice, drill once (preferably not thru the canvas!). I mounted 3 sets of the brackets so that I can use 3 crossbars or change the position with 2 crossbars, but 2 will work just fine. Oh, I made some backing plates out of aluminum bar stock to make a stronger mount. The edges were rounded to keep the canvas from snagging. Plastic or rubber nut caps may be necessary as well. Mounted to the rack are Yakima MakoSaddles which work well with my sea kayak, although I don't care for the straps that come with it. Other mounts are available. Get a set of bow/stern racket hold-downs. In addition to the 2 rack straps, I use these for a 4 point connection to the van. Believe me, a set of rack straps alone is not enough. If one fails, you are left with only one strap and it won't take much to launch your boat prematurely!

Let me know if you have questions or want pics.

Happy paddling,

Keith