Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jan 2008 00:52:38 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Anyone have a Nikon digital SLR for sale??
Comments: To: Conch-L <conch-l@listserv.uga.edu>

I made the bad mistake of acting on reviews and buying a Konica Minolta DiMage A2 digital "pseudoSLR". This camera doesn't do anything right: -flash has at most 3m range -huge shutter-delay (cannot be used for action photography) -takes up to 20s to open an image to check it -autofocus often refuses to work -resolution is poor; the 800mpx spec is misleading -focus very poor, resulting in uncrisp images at best -viewfinder & rear screen resolution too poor to check image focus -in sun with shadows, either shadows are black or lit areas are bleached to white -dark parts of images are speckled with pale pinpoints, even on highest-resolution setting -function dials too easily knocked out of setting -on-button much too easily activated accidentally -have to hold power button for at least a second to switch off (and doesn't always work) -takes up to 20s to turn off, so you have to watch that long to make sure it DOES turn off -antishake easily turned off/on by accident, but doesn't seem to make any differenve either way

I have put up with the thing since buying it new 2 years ago (admittedly the Sony equivalent was even worse in some ways, with purple refringence and that bulky stupid hinged body). I want to get rid of it (I have e-mailed KM NZ with a complaint, but they will of course ignore me).

I need a camera that can take crisp images and be used for true macrophotography (photomacrography) of molluscan specimens, as well as cars, cats & other people and day-to-day stuff. My boss uses a digital Nikon SLR; he got great results with the old one and has just replaced it with a new model (and no, he gave the old one to his son, the thoughtless ***). I don't need a current model, just one that will do the job right.

Anyone have one to offer?