Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:06:10 -0800
From:         B Monk <wmonk@SNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sell my 91GL?????
Comments: To: BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

I am talking from Recent experience here. We sold our 91GL last fall. It had a tiico motor with all the bugs worked out,had CIS injection on it,nuespeed cam ran like a top,had Rein rims,The foglights that are part of the parking lights, a tiico brush bar,a/c was upgraded to a a3 compressor and worked great, transmission rebuilt custom geared. Van was great. We sold it because we wanted to get a camper. We think we found one,but its on the other side of the border so that may fall through. We really miss and regret selling the 91GL. Being without a van for the last six months has been hell. To ad to the confusion we have a line on a sweet 91 Westy for 10,000. The van is in real nice shape and runs well with a rebuild about 30,000 miles ago. Were stuck right now on jumping on the 91 or waiting and trying to import the 2003 Weekender. My wife really wants the 91 as she likes the looks of the vanagon more than the Eurovan and she enjoys the way a vanagon drives. Something about your butt being over the front wheel gives the vanagon a feel like an older aircooled bus. If we had kept our 91Gl pass van we wouldn't feel so pressured to come up with a van. If my wife has her way we'll end up with the 91 Westy,she wants to install a propex heater (or something similar will make another post on that),put a decent stereo in,order up a set of Rheins and new tires,brush the dust off one of the big brake kits I have in the garage,and install a trailer hitch to haul the bikes. So unless you have a Westy already lined up hold onto that van. Don't expect to pay anyless than 10,000 for a decent Westy unless it needs a lot of work and your prepared to do it. If your going to rely on a mechanic to "restore" and older Vanagon the cost will make it unreasonable. If you live closer to me I'd give you the 3,000 for the van just so we could have a Vanagon to drive around for awhile.

Bill

BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET> wrote: >> ? Kinda want a Westie or older camper bus(friend has a 74 bus w/bed and in good shape(not a camper)) that he will sell for 1000.00(a/c needs service). <<

No way would I sell a '91 in good condition and buy a '74, even if it has a bed. If you just want a bed then put one in your '91. You'll be allot happier with that vehicle than a '74.

Taking your $2500 and your $500 profit and trying to find a VW camper for that same price will be a fruitless search. Expect to pay at least $10K for a bay window camper and at least $15K for a Vanagon camper in excellent condition. Yeah yeah you can get a VW camper for allot less but you are asking for trouble....

Bryan