Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:29:12 -0800
From:         VW Doka <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw: MSNBC.com Article: Tourists shun crime-hit Mexico beaches

Baja is a funny place. I've been going there since I was a child (think late '60s), first to watch my Father race the Baja 500 & 1000. Later, in my teen years and beyond, to ride dirt bikes, camp, and race the Baja as well. We were good for about 2 trips a month to Baja.

About every third trip, one of us would get caught in Tijuana for some invisible traffic violation that would end up costing between $5 & $20 (after negotiations). The only other losses we incurred were items that went missing from the back of trucks when we weren't watching closely enough. I lost my favorite helmet that way. Still miss it...

All in all, Mexico was awesome. Once you got out of the cities, the people were some of the friendliest and most helpful you could ever meet. One of the strangest things about Baja, and something we've always joked about, is that you could be on a one lane dirt road out in the middle of nowhere, and stop for a water break and leg stretch, and sure enough, some local will turn up within a few minutes and say hi. It's one of the odd, but common things that happen down there. Picture this... 5 or 10 dirt bike riders sitting on the side of little dirt road 50 miles away from the nearest small town. Five minutes or so after stopping, down the road walks (yes, walks) a local who just smiles and waves as he passes by. I'm not making this up. It happened all the time. And I really mean 'middle of nowhere'. I'm talking about small dirt roads south of Gonzaga Bay, east of L.A. Bay, and the like. Strange stuff...

But I digress. As time as marched on, things have definitely gotten more dicey. Unfortunately, for business reasons, I moved north from my home in Encinitas to Sacramento, so my trips to Baja became less frequent. Eventually, I even sold my share in my house (calling it a house is being generous) in Gonzaga Bay. However, my brother and many of my close friends continued to go to Baja on a regular basis. Weekend trips to Mike's Sky Ranch, 3 or 4 day'ers down to Gonzaga Bay, and the occasional long trip to San Felipe. We're talking about 10-12 Baja regulars here: long-time, hard core Baja travelers. Well... as of today, all of these guys have stopped going into Baja unless at least 3 vehicles and 8 or so people go together. Four of them have been robbed, at gunpoint, of all their gear, including dirt bikes within the past year (two separate incidents). Another had his truck and gear taken from him during a fake police stop on Hwy 1. I'm sure that trucks packed with ATVs and such make a more desirable target than a solitary Westy tootling down the highway.

I've seen, and done, a lot in Mexico. Some good, some bad, and I've had to deal with the Mexican bureaucracy many times: I spent the night in the Ensenada jail when I was younger (and I deserved it, too); had to shuttle badly injured friends (broken back, collapsed lung, etc.) across the border; we even had to "negotiate" the release of a good friends body from the Tecate morgue so we could take him home to his family after he died on one of our rides. Things definitely operate differently down there and most of the rules do not apply. But there does seem to be safety in numbers, and do recommend that people travel in groups on the highways when possible, and always maintain a low profile.

99% of the people down there are still good people, it just seems that the bad ones have gotten a lot worse.

That's all I have to say about that...

Happy Travels,

Jeff