Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jan 2008 12:19:18 -0500
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      High Idle Solved

Hi All,

Once again, thanks to the list for advice, etc. Over the past week or so (as well as other times) I've tossed around the idea of replacing the Westy with something newer and (gaag) domestic. But I'd miss the Vanagon list...been addicted to it for 15 years now.

But to the point. The idle problem as some suggested had to do with the throttle switch. So I went off to Radio Shack to pick up a cheap multimeter (and they had the nerve to ask if I wanted to purchase insurance for it...), came home, disconnected the throttle switch from the harness, tested it with the meter, and voila...the switch was not closed as it is supposed to be at idle. I was going to adjust it with the throttle body in place, but then I noticed that there was a bunch of electrical tape on the wire leading to the switch.

I took off the throttle body (about 5 minutes to do), and the last person (not me) to work on the throttle switch apparently spliced the two wires. Needless to say they were covered in oil and other assorted dirt. Cleaned it up, shrink tubed the connections, rewrapped the wires and adjusted the switch so it now turned on at idle.

Put the whole thing back together, plugged the idle stabilizer valve back, roughly adjusted the bleed screw and started it up. Idled at about 1200 and then adjusted it back to 900.

One less problem (for now).....took about 45 minutes from start to finish to do this....

Ric