Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:00:21 -0500
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speaker size
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com>

I went the less obvious and more invasive route, i cut no holes. To upgrade my speakers at the rear of my '85GL from the strange little stand alone things that hang from the ceiling, i knew my best bet was to add some speakers under my rear Zbed (didnt come with the GL incase your wondering, its a wolfsburg ? Zbed). So i went out and bought some 6x9's thinking "Ok, i'll cut these holes and all will be well", untill the next day i got a deal on a set of Bose Bookshelf speakers. So, i removed the little stand alone things that hang from the back of the GL (These speakers, if you still have them and use them......i'm sorry. Maybe it was just me, but i cant understand how they thought they could get sound, actual sound to come out of these), and wired up some speaker cable from where those standalone speakers would connect, down through the sides of the car and under the rear bench. Once there, i hooked up my Bose boxes, and all was well. BUT WAIT....THERES MORE! The problem then was, now i have this unsigtly pair of holes in the headliner at the rear (where the speakers used to connect), i could patch it up with something.....but why not add function to the patch? So i went to my local radio shack and got two of the little connectors you would find on the back of a stereo (Red and Black, you push the little button and insert some wire), and i used these to cover the holes (And wired them in). So now i have these two bookshelf speakers under the rear bed, and when i decide its time to party.....i go into tailgating mode. I pop up the rear bed, pull out the speakers from under it...disconnect their wires.....pull out my two pre-made/pre-tinned 25ft speaker cables, plug them into the back plugs, plug the other ends into the speakers, prop the speakers up outside the car facing the action.....and listen to the sweet sweet music comfortably outside my car.

Once i get an Aux battery hooked up to the stereo.....i'll be unstopable.

-Craig '85GL