Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:54:09 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Filler Mods/Question on a 2.1
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>

Well, the oil filler tube is metal right ? Plan ole sheet metal is very easy to work with. Why would you not just braze a brass fitting into the side of the oil filler tube, right near the bottom, like an inch from the bottom, and screw your temp sensor into that part ????

Sure seems obvious to me. You only modify one part, the rest stays stock. No muss no fuss. You wouldn't want to change oil fill location the oil tower, unless you just love opening the engine cover every time you want to add a little oil just to see your shiny engine. Seems to be making things way more complicated and less convenient.

Here's a super simple way to tell what the real oil level is. With the right amount of oil in the engine, insert something, like a coat hanger wire, down the filler tube till it touches oil, and figure out from that what the oil level is. I believe the bottom inch or so of the oil filler tube has oil in it for sure. If the oil is full, and you undo that tube, oil sure will be flowing right out. Scott www.turbovans.com