Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:36:11 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: tackling sloppy shifter (4 speed)
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

Look further up. You can remove the 'shift box' from underneath, leaving everything else in place. If you see that the bottom of the shifter has been rubbing on the bottom of the box, It's likely the white plastic parts at the pivot point in the shift lever itself are broken. It's quite common. It only occurs from clutzty shifting and lack of lubrication and proper attention, in m opinion. I'm dealing with two vanagons right now with that syndrome. Don't' be afraid to take things apart -that's how you fix them. ;-) Scott