Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:00:16 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: 1985 Vanagon - Ford Focus Engine alternative

Interesting thread... thanks. It was nice reading that with a coffee (with WIFI at my van) this morning on the beach. I hope that answer the original post :-)

I have seen ALL VW style engine in our group, including 2 diesel, 1 was a 1.9L (Jean) and a old 1.9TD (Cory & Ted), even the 1.9L was impressive (smoking a lot with the Mex fuel), the TD look amazing in the hills and probalbly as about as much torque as my 2.5L if not more? I have seen a stock in shape 2.1L pulling an heavy trailer all the way with very good torque on the hills. The aircool of Jonathan was impressive (rebuilt by B. Bob). Even the little 1.9L are doing good. And believe me, you need torque here. Hans SVX is a monster, we drove Mex style with it, 9 peoples in the van... they had a nice SVX taste, the funny thing is that Hans didn't have any engine ready for this trip, so we had to find one fast for the trip, (he was pulling the 2007 2.5L for our Mexican job in the back with full of tools and parts so the SVX was a good choice. At lower speed, the fuel consumption was better than a 2.1L) so he use a old SVX that later will become a part engine, i was impress with that old engine, not even a new part on it, just some spare parts just in case, nothing hapen, nothing, he made that 7-8k miles trip with that old engine :-) Ken, i guy we met in Villa Corona spent a good part of the trip with us(still with me), he is from Regina (Sask), he drove his small 1.9L pulling a 340pd bike in the back, automatic van!!!

As for me, i'm happy with my van, i said my van because it's not only about engines. This van was built with that trip in mind. My engine is running fine, like always since i had it, i like the modern style engine start in the morning. My engine was semi-rebuilt and reseal but was a old engine. It is true that the 2.5L need RPM to produce good torque, but they like it at 4-6k rpm. It's you loose behinf all the other VW engine, even on the hills.

The only problem i have so far is my left front window... mmmm.. got to fix that today, i guess!

The only thing i could benefit in Mexico is a 5 speed trany, the speed is SLOW here so the high fourth gear is a bit... high, but in the US highway it's simply perfect.

I'm also sure that the ZTEC is a nice engine, i'm also sure that Jim is making a good conversion.

Anyway, have fun in the north :-) I still need to relax a wile before getting back to real life, my upcomming work load is monstrous :-(

Ben http://www.benplace.com/mexico2008.htm