Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:55:45 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel vs Gas Vanagons

>So I just find the mentality different than what I'm used to, and > interesting, but certainly not 'wrong.'

The above statement by Scott in a way represents the "generation" gap or technology gap if I'm reading it right.

It can be a bit of an ego slap when you meet guys 25 years your junior who know as much or more than you. We tend to think because of all our years , we know more. And we probably do, about old stuff that is. And the old way . Some old things are basic absolutes. But there's a lot of new stuff that the younger generation knows about we don't .

We have been out of the education loop for a quarter century or so. Sure , many of us are well read and keep up, but it's not the same as being born into it or a recent cum laude.

We still think of computers differently. They don't remember a time when they were without them.

The guys at Bostig are young. Visiting their shop I was reminded of inventors. I have been to many shops-inventors was never one of my impressions at the majority of them.

Their business angle is correct-the low mileage engine is a safer bet than the 100 k rebuild, on average. We have a machinist here that builds race motors, old school , and his head and block rebuilds are good. The guy hates computers.But where you live it may not be so.

When you embark on marketing a conversion kit, having a new and broken-in makes good sense.

Rebuilding takes more time, in a small shop like Bostigs, space and time are of the utmost importance .

Some of us older generation mechanics (I for one) still use VHS tapes and still don't own a MP3 anything because cassette tapes and Cd's still work quite well .

What I find when discussing technology with younger mechanics or techs is that they know more about newer technolgy than we pretend to.

Jim especially is very educated . He might not have 30 years experience but after discussing technology with him I felt like an ignoramous.

There's a tendency for the old guys who started out as shade-trees to look down on the college and tech eds because of their lack of experience.

After my visit last summer with the Bostig shop I came away with a totally different impression and somewhat chastened.

That Jim is willing to patiently engage in discussion about this technology is admirable. I was one of his skeptics off-list.

If we want to know more should study hard a listen well to the best knowledge out there,some of which is actually expounded here on this list.

And waste less time debating who's mousetrap is better.

As a final note, as explained to me by Jim and Brady during my visit, that today's automobile manufacturers are become less American or German or Japanese every year.

Mergers like Chrysler-Daimler for example and foreign out-sourced suppliers are becoming the future in a global economy.

A Ford engine is a conglomeration of materials and technology the world over. Where's the steel in the block from? The aluminum? The rubber and plastic?

I had a 92 VW Golf -the body was made in Mexico- the dash was made in USA. Other parts from Germany, France, Canada, etc.

Just like all these American brand names made in China. It isn't a German, Japanese, Korean, etc,- made car anymore .

So now I can accept the inline-four Ferd motor that looks a lot like a German inline four, can't I? That's it-when Ford eventually merges with VW , the new name will be Ferd, for Henry Ford and Ferdinand Porsche.

Whaddya think?

Robert

1982 Westfalia

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ