Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:52:06 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@GWTC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fw: MSNBC.com Article: Tourists shun crime-hit Mexico beaches

This has been happening in Western Mexico as far back as 1974. In the winter of that year Rolling Stone had an article about fake cops that would accost young people camping on the beach south of Mazatlan. Lo and behold, a couple months later four of us travelled down there in my 66 camper and when we drove to the beach through the head high brush a quarter mile from the road, we were there only an hour before a rust bucket 50s era chevy squeaked its way to us. Three guys got out, one of which was big and armed with the biggest pistol I'd every seen. Part of the story in Rolling Stone was these guys would plant a film cannister of pot while searching the victims car, find it, demand all their money, except for enough gas money to get back to the US oddly enough.

One of them had a film cannister in his hand and we crowded him while he went through our stuff. He didn't find any pot (couldn't plant it), and left in a bad mood. We were scared **itless. We decided to spend the night in town and shortened our stay in that part of the country.

Jeff Olson Martin, SD

Peter T. Owsianowski wrote: > Maybe the media is pumping this story up a little? > > > >