Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:13:38 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: (LVC)Fw: MSNBC.com Article: Tourists shun crime-hit Mexico
              beaches
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

Both articles are from the same source. The tiny "newspaper" owned by this woman is controversial for it's editorial slant and isn't anything like what we would consider a fair or balanced news source. These Baja incidents did occur but the notion that drug lords are over taking the place is hyperbole. Baja is a very large place and these incidents are from a very small part of it that I have avoided for many years, other than sometimes driving through it on my way to real Baja.

I have been to Baja over 100 times including several times in the last few months and after these stories appeared. I camp on beaches a lot with my wife. Often times we are alone or nearly so. I would not do this if I felt it was too risky but we are careful about where we spend our time. I also would not do it on the northern Pacific shore or in the touristy Tijuana/Ensenada areas. The rare carjackings in the north are targeting expensive vehicles that are nothing like Vanagons and Westys.

I know lots of people are staying away from Baja out of fear that they could be victims. There is real danger there just like there is everywhere. The danger is mostly in the border areas and not where most of us would camp in any case. Driving in daylight hours has been recommended for years and still is the best idea. Once you get past the northern border zone there is close to 1000 miles of mostly beauty on the way to Cabo San Lucas and there are many beaches where I would be happy to camp without fear.

Mark

Rob wrote: > At 1/13/2008 04:06 PM, Bernie wrote: >> Interesting article by an American woman who lives and writes on the >> Baja, >> she should know what is happening. >> >> >> http://www.mexidata.info/id1634.html > > That was a good article and it leads to others. > > http://www.gringogazettenorth.com/v6e20_09.php > "Whatever the case, it is clear that these masked commandos are > taking over Baja." > > War Lords controlling Baja? Cartels ruling the lawless lands south of > the Border? > It sounds silly sitting here on this January afternoon but a VW > camping trip to Baja is one of those things I've always wanted to > do. Not sure if I want to deal with War Lords to do it. Maybe it's > just hype? <Shrug>, maybe I'm just getting old? > Maybe I should save this for when I'm ready to head for Baja? > > > > Rob > > becida@comcast.net > Western Washington State, USA >