Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jan 2008 03:17:34 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Pointing out the Facts on Vanagon Diesels
Comments: To: ScottDaniel@turbovans.com, Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com

Good Grief! I just saw this exchange triggered by Scott and others purloining a reasonable vehicle with words based on anecdotal wisdom and I had to reply! I reproduce some of this so-called wisdom at the end of this email. Those who have followed any of my dissertations know the low regard I have for those who improve on factory engineering with anecdotal (several cases ill measured) redesigns such as reducing engine rpm to enhance longevity.

But on to this case. The N/A engine was extensively tested by VW engineers during the Vanagon diesel development cycle. Including more than a million miles in variable load dynamometer testing, and more than 250,000 km in the Sahara desert and the Swedish tundra. This winter and summer test program stressed the cooling and lubrication systems as well as the air handling in dust and ice. The passenger car version of the 1.6l diesel was detuned from 53.6 hp @ 4800 to 49.6 hp @ 4200 rpm for the vanagon version. This resulted in a torque peak of 76.0 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm up from the passenger version's 73 ft-lbs. The power curve was virtually flat from 3700 to 4300 rpm. Maximum speed was rated for the kombi version as 110 km/hr or 68.4 mph. The Westfalia version was DIN rated for a max speed of 65.0 mph at half rated load. The rigorous DIN fuel economy test with 50% city and 50% urban cycles gave a rated average of 25.5 mpg also at half rated load. The vanagon diesel was rated for pulling a 1200 kg towed load up a 12% grade without slowing in 4th gear. Hill climbing ability was rated at a 24% grade at full load and 30% at half load. The diesel package added 100 kg to the overall weight of the vanagon compared to the air-cooled gas version. Of that 35 kg went to the front tires, 65 to the rear. Just engineering facts. For those who want to see the data, Alistair has posted the original technical papers on his website. Along with extensive info on the vehicle design, the engineering behind various VW engines including turbodiesels. I will send up the translated papers on the various TDi engines when I complete them. The link is:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/ragnarhairybreeks/technical%20articles%202/diesel/D Vtrans.html

Now as to my anecdotal experience, I purchased my Westfalia for factory delivery and put more than 120,000 miles on the engine before I changed it out due to boredom. No engine problems except for the replacement of glow plugs at about 65,000 miles. Went through a bundle of starters though. The fellow who bought my N/A diesel says he has put more than 80,000 miles on it without the head off. Oil consumption is now at 400 miles per quart. Now, the Westy is/was equipped with the DZ transmission and I constantly logged a top speed of 62 mph on SoCal freeways, 65 down hill and usually 55 to 60 on long cross-country grades. I drove the vehicle with a digital throttle (full off or full on) and regulated speed with the gear shift and brake. I crossed the Brenner Pass in second with a cold bottle of Augustinerbrau and enjoyed it immensely. The engine was designed for extensive full throttle operation at 4200 rpm and I ran it there as much as possible. In Europe, the USA, Canada and Mexico. While the engine was slow it was dead reliable. As was the refrigerator and my necessary supply of cold liquid.

Let's see, unusual maintenance ... well I religiously drained water from the water/fuel filter once per month. Changed oil on my normal schedule (2000 miles for the first two with paraffin based diesel truck oils, then every 5000 with synthetic. Checked coolant every month. Changed oil filters with each oil change. Kept the oil level just above add. Oh yeah, and I never, never, never lugged that engine. Spin!

After swapping out the diesel for the 1.8l digifant RV with the DZ trans still in place, I cheerfully ran it up to 100 mph (6500 rpm) and ran across parts of Texas. Generally I ran on the open freeway at 85 mph with full A/C on (5700 rpm) since the vanagon felt better at those speeds. But those details are all in various rpm/power/drag/thrust reports in the vanagon list archives. During several oil pan pulls as I was experimenting with windage trays, baffles and whatnot, I examined the crank journals, the cylinder sidewalls and piston sidewalls. I also used the boroscope to examine top piston surfaces, cylinder upper sidewalls and the combustion chamber/valve heads. Never anything other than clean shiny metal! These speeds are often referred to as an Italian Tune-up. But after extensive runs between 5500 and 6500 rpm, there was no evidence of carbon build up on the combustion chamber head surface and a light gray sheen on the piston tops. Haven't taken the head off yet, so can't say more. But more than 85,000 miles on the RV engine under these conditions and the oil burn rate is still at 1500 miles per quart. Fine by me.

Just my 2 centimes,

Frank Grunthaner

************** Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.