Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:05:18 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Water pump?
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>

Re " It would appear > >>> that some might be trying to discourage others from doing their > >>> own water pump replacements."

That's funny, such never occurred to me. I sure encourage everyone to be very familiar, handy, and skilled at maintaining and repairing their vanagon, most definitely.

What I *really* wish for tho, is on a few vanagon jobs .........and about THE worst one I can think of is adjusting the clutch master cylinder push rod or replacing the pedal assembly .... And the water pumps also fall under this..........what I wish for is to find the engineers that designed it that way and force them to change those parts over and over until their fingers are bloody and they swear to never design things that stupidly again..

Just to brag........I pride myself in building things so they are easy to work on, as in engine conversions. I finished off this installation of a Subaru 2.2 engine into a Syncro Westy ( it's for sale btw ) . Somebody jammed vw bolts into the subaru engine block .........ack !!....and stripped the hell out of those threads, which made the engine-adapter-plate junction weak and flexy and the starter not work well, so I had to pull the engine. From a running fully done subaru engine conversion that I had built, I had it completely disconnected and ready to remove except for the bell housing bolts in 50 minutes of easy work. If they had put their mind to it waterboxer water pumps could be an hour job easily, if they cared enough to think about it much in the first place. I think engineers generally completely miss it in terms of pure practicality. How hard is it not mount something right in front of something else anyway ?? not very. Scott