Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:22:30 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pointing out the Facts on Vanagon Diesels - why breaking!
Comments: To: scottdaniel@turbovans.com, Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com

In a message dated 1/14/08 3:01:07 AM, scottdaniel@turbovans.com writes:

> How do you explain all the blow engines then ? just lack of decent > maintenance ? > > Scott,

As you saw from my previous comment, blown vanagon diesels are not part of my experiential database! But a few observations come to mind. On the issue of vanagon engine blocks ventilated with broken rod bits protruding, in my experience (and I've seen between 20 and 30 over the years in my Saturday morning junkyard constitutionals) they have all been waterboxers mostly 1.9l units. Of course those are also the majority of vanagons I see in the junkyard. Of the different junked diesels I have seen, they were oil encrusted but sidewallus intactus. No busted cases on the air cooled units either.

I have seen a large number of functioning diesels. On every one, with my one ride excepted, the belt driving the waterpump has been very loose. Often accompanied with complaints about alternator charging. As you will recall, the tightening sequence involves shimming the crank pulley as per the air-cooled beetles. I would argue that this would lead to overheating, then head warpage, then water in the combustion chamber then bang. I have had several discussions with diesel mechanics over the years and they often pointed to air in the cooling system and subsequent head leakage/warpage.

The second common issue I have seen is oil overfilling. This is often associated with oil everywhere in the back of the van with loss of the rear seal and often the front one as well. The vanagon is very susceptible to oil level errors when the level is checked on a graded surface via the rear pull dipstick. Aeration is a very serious issue at these engine speeds and temperatures leading to more than an order of magnitude reduction in lubricity.

I have also seen burnt-off glow plug ends in junkyard machines. Tragic waste.

I have often encountered air filters that are virtually impassable. This is often correlated with heavy smoke and oil puddling in the intake tract. Both of these conditions lead to heavy coking in the combustion chamber. Diesels also undergo a form of detonation which can add sever shock pulses to the rod.

I changed out the timing belt at 40,000 mile intervals because of the engine room temperatures and because I saw cracking in the belt driven surface in my monthly inspections. I was told by dealer mechanics about the large number of diesels that were mistimed by one or two teeth. They concluded that the belt was marginally loose and had jumped a tooth on rapid downshift induced deceleration. Very dangerous for longevity.

All of the above, I attribute to poor maintenance on the part of the owner or servicing mechanic.

Finally, under the category of owner induced mistreatment, I argue that lugging the engine (so much of the American driving habit) is terminal. The diesel has a very wide torque band coming in a very low speeds. Lugging together with an aerated or depleted oil condition will generate bearing seizure and rod sheer. The diesel equivalent of detonation is more pronounced under high load, low rpm conditions.

However this is (as I am fond of saying) is anecdotal. No careful analysis of cause and effect with controlled or well monitored conditions. Many years ago, after first acquiring the Vanagon diesel, I subscribed to several professional mechanics newsgroups. Here, there was often discussion of the results and statistics of manufacturer warranty claims. Look at the Chevy warranty claim problems on the V6 engines. Dwarfs VW's production figures. But this the life and death analysis of any manufacturer. The general tone of issues on VW was all focussed on the waterboxer. Of course the diesel penetration was low. Still, there is where real life test data lie.

Finally, finally, finally, I recall a conversation with a VW engineer from the Hannover engine lab that commented on the relative cost holdback for warranty claims on the diesel vanagons services in Germany. He pointed out that the cost assignment for the N/A diesel was less than half that of the next closest engine group (the 1.6l gasoline air cooled unit). The turbo JX engine was next, followed by the waterboxer 2.1, and the wbx 1.9 came in as most expensive to warranty. Point is, most reliable, in Germany, was the 1.6l N/A diesel.

My ill-informed contribution to the noise level!

Frank Grunthaner

************** Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.