Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jan 2008 15:39:00 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Syncro front-end into RWD bus

>the entire sub frame of the Syncro must be used. >the bearings are different. >suspension attachment points are different. >you must cut the frame on a 2wd to fit the Syncro sub frame.

I thought the subframe would fit on without cutting, only drilling. I know somebody made postings on this while he was doing a conversion, but it was a while ago and I can't remember any details.

>it has been done, but because I own many Syncros and know how much >work it is to keep them vibration free, I would be wary of such a >conversion. >again, it can be done, but outcome depends upon how exact the process is.

>What are you saying here ? ...........you can't find Vanagon 2WD front >suspension ???? >How many do you want ?? >Not hard to find at all generally, in my experience.

In the US, certainly. Here in New Zealand, where T3s were never sold new, it's another story. And every time I find a listee or TheSamba member in the US who says he has the parts and is willing to sell to me (replies to my request never give prices or location), when I ask for these details there is never a response. Now I'm looking at Germany for a wrecker!

>If you are asking if syncro front suspension can be fitted to a 2WD vanagon, >yes, that can be done. Been thinking of doing that myself as an early stage >of a full syncro conversion to a 2WD vanagon. Only two issues - need the >outer ends of front axles to go in the wheel bearings....like the outer stub >axles, and the other issue is speedometer drive. There wouldn't' be need >for the front diff, which normally drives the speedometer cable on a syncro. >I 'might' be possible to drive the speedo of the left front stub axle 2WD >style.

Sounds like more of a problem than it's worth.

>I doubt that rear wheel bearings and syncro front wheel bearings are the >same.

Sorry, I meant comparison of Syncro & RWD FRONT bearings.

>Anyone with ETKA or a good parts person could tell you that. Ask Rennie, >don't know if he's on this list though.

>While you can certainly convert a 2wd to a Syncro front end it may >not be the way for you to go. The 2 suspensions take different >shocks so your 2wd Konis are out. The steering racks are the same >but they mount in different positions and use different shafts from >the steering box. The 2wd steering rack mounting member must be >removed from the chassis. A substitute mount must be attached to the >chassis in the proper Syncro location. Various critical parts of the >2wd chassis must be cut away to make room for the Syncro subframe. >There is no going back.

OK, I guess that settles it. I'll stick with the RWD setup... -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut ‚ Opinions stated are mine, not those of Otago University "There is water at the bottom of the ocean" - Talking Heads