Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:32:56 -0500
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@WHISPLLC.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1985 Vanagon - Ford Focus Engine alternative
Comments: To: AAG - Larry Word <word_aag@COMCAST.NET>

Hi Larry and others Im not boasting the Bostig or the Sub conversion since both are VERY nice alternatives. Here is why I made the decision to install and Im in the process of assembly and install of the 2.0 DOHC 3K mile focus motor. This is what Ive seen and Enjoy about this and others and why Im swapping out the 1.9L wbx.

Reason Im swapping out the WBX:

1) Parts - Cant find parts for them, VW is dropping parts and part numbers to support the 1.9L. I use this vanagon to Camp and Travel and must carry alot of spares since there are not alot of parts out there to support emergency fixes. 2) Little under powered for hauling a small trailer (size of a Garden Cart) and 4 people with all camping gear. 3) Always need to Carry All the tools to do it myself any where I go. And all supplies to do it where ever I go.

Why I didnt go Subie (Which was my 1st Choice, And Had the money to drop down and go with)

1) finding a Motor with under 60k miles is a joke, Then if you did find it it cost 2k more then the zetec with only 3k miles. 2) Ive got good friends at the Subaru Dealer and talked with there tech and service guys and MOST (not all) said they wouldnt touch it if it wasnt in a subaru vehicle 3) A few good friends own and Manage various Auto parts stores and I Checked with them on Parts for the sub vs. zetec. cost on parts was BIG as well as a fair amount of the sub parts would need to be ordered and would be in later that day or the next day. 4) location to where I live. American Cars are EVERYWHERE Im is S.E. Michigan the US Vehicles are pumped out in my back yard. 5) I did a search on car-parts.com to find a sub motor in the junk yards to find only 6 avail in the state of Michigan and over 600 avail for zetec. 6) zetecs went into a cheaper car that younger people are buying in Mass which means there are more wrecked locally daily then subs 7) Crunched all the numbers including all the time I would have to go through to get it all together to build and it cost about the same as the sub.

Why I went to zetec.

1) Most all of the parts are available EVERYWHERE and Cheaper then VW and Sub. 2) Junk yards are packed with them 3) The Kit has so far been the BEST thing Ive put together in a LONG time. No searching for parts at hardware stores and auto parts places for ever to find things not included in the kit. If it wasnt in the kit I was given a call sheet to get the parts I need. 4) Picked up a 3k miles motor for only 675.00 locally with a 12 month 24k warranty that includes Labor if bad. That price also included the Power steering pump and Alternator 5) The Kit has every last nut, Hose clamp, and washer included and ALL in Stainless, as well as all brackets in Stainless ( Im in the Rust belt so it matters!!)\ 6) Support so far has been TOP NOTCH!!! as well as quality of the kit. 7) most of the instructions are on Video. So I just set up my laptop next to where Im building the Motor and Watch and build at the same time as I watch the video. Way cool and way fast to build. Easy to follow and in just 3 1.5 hour nights I had most of the motor torn down and put all the adaptors, mounting and cooling stuff on. AND BEST OF ALL IS in actually Fit!!! nothing to modify that was not stated on the video.

Why I wanted the sub:

1) fit and finish - Just looked like it was suppost to be there 2) Depenability and quality of the sub motor faily bullet proof

Sure there are more reasons But cant think of them and I need to get to work!! This is my own findings and IM not trying to sell you either way I really like subs and really like zetecs but most of all I love my vanagon for Camping!! If VW would still make parts and if the aftermarket world would make parts for my 1.9L to last forever I would just do a few upgrades to give it more pull and stick all VW but If I need to continually part out vanagons just to get and hoard the parts I may need in the future it is a pain in the rear. Sorry I didnt mention Diesels and inline 4s from vw but some of the issues Ive seen from that Ive not been as easy to stick with. But I still like them as long as they are trying to keep the Vanagon on the road and enjoy it thats all that really matters to me. BTW it is still cheaper to convert the motor and stuff then buy a NEW ford Class B to replace what you have. I would do a Sprinter class B or C if the cost wasnt looming at 70k.

C-ya Jonce

>It's almost Friday - what is the consensus to date of the group installing 2000 ford focus engine into Vanagons?

>Any ideas, links, info., articles, etc. would be appreciated!

>Thanks

>Larry

Jonce Fancher

56 Single Cab 66 Sunroof Bug 66 Variant Squareback 66 Porsche 912 71 Sunroof Bus 84 Vanagon "Gottfried" 85 Vanagon Westi 2003 10 Passenger Sprinter

Fancher's Upholstery Inc. - www.fanchers.com Not-A-VW Club- http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransont3/notavwclub/