Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:21:29 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: New VW/Chrysler Minivan Update
Comments: To: Jim Akiba <syncrolist@bostig.com>

Hi Jim, Is that what is was/is ? ...........bamboo pattern - I couldn't tell. OK.

Re 'my support' ..........you can call it that - I call it an acknowledgement, but in this case, more than that a bit. I don't think you really got what I was getting at. I'm sure your Zetec conversions are 'very good' or 'quite good' and so forth. I'm sure they're quite fine at least. There's even a material choice for one component, if I have it right, I don't approve even. I'm sure they're pretty great. I can tell you sure try to make them really good. I don't even think inline for is 'it'...........but that's fine.

But that's not what I am acknowledging. - the conversion. What I am 'giving an award to' is your APPROACH.........your macro approach, if that's the right use of that word. It appears to me that you thought......... take these subaru conversions.........they're patched together really. Modifying the stock harness. A header from this vendor, an adapter from that one ..........sure one company sells pretty much of a kit, but there are several subaru engines to choose from, no one does a harness from scratch, the ecu's are usually stock................it's really 'a patch job' .......relatively hokey with many variations and different people doing it different ways, and all ADAPTED .....with mixed results too.

Ok, so you said - screw that. I want one standard engine that's modern, rugged, super available, and cheap. Then, I'm going to make one production kit that supports this engine really well ( not physically supports it - the systems that support it, make it work ) . I'm going to be able to re-map the ecu. I'm going to make the harness fresh just for the application, I'm going to do it right, and I'm going to sort the whole thing out, productioinize it, and when I sell you kit, there is nothing to figure out, hack, patch, re-wire etc. Like a manufactured 'system' ..

Nobody else does that. Thinking of various vanagon engine conversions .......for example......I sure don't count this one company that's not a subaru or a waterboxer. . If their kit works well fine, but the attitude of the company..........good bye. I don't care if they make 350 hp and get 35 mph.........forget them. They are just bad news in my experience - one small bad personal one. . And I hear occasionally the installations aren't perfect etc - you think if your 'Wyoming thing' happened to one of these it would get handled the way you did ? or there'd be a replacement engine in a local junkyard ?........if anyone wants to tell me they're ok, I'm all ears, but my one personal experience with the company was insulting and upsetting. Plus ........it's NOT US sourced stuff etc. . Don't' want to slam anyone really...........

But you are saying ..... I want it standard, I want it bullet proof, I want a kit that is 'no hassle' , I want it tunable, I want an idiot proof simple install, I want a very available inexpensive common, well made engine, I want be able to have a turbo on it if desired, I want a real, and new harness, Etc. etc. ......... a much bigger overall view. An All New Dimension. Not much patched or adapted, And ALL from one source/vendor. I would know, I study vanagon engine conversions hard, I dare say. And subaru conversions, by comparison. are patch work and adaptation of the car's engine's systems. I do love them though.

Oh yeah..........when I finally DO see on - a Zetec .........it BETTER be good ! !!............just playing, but if you put that much effort and intention into a much more 'bigger view' approach, I hope there's not something mounted so it's unreasonably hard to work on, for example. I sure hope it's elegant, and well done.

That's the main point I wanted to make, about your 'much bigger picture' and 'very standard' approach. I've only heard of just this one engine so far, the 2.0 inline focus Four. for example.

So people know where I am coming from, or my experience............I worked on my tricycle before I went to kindergarten. I modified it even. I still remember the one red square head bolt that held in the handle bars and fork. I flipped them over, so it came out long and low. Yes- a tricycle conversion ! I worked on my bike forever, got my first car at 20, worked on that forever. I have been working on cars almost steadily since 1964. I have raced in Baja in the first off road race there in 1967, in my own self-prepped 305 cubic inch V-8 six forward gears 56 Chevy sedan. I have raced motorcycles - TT dirt track racing, I've raced cars a little. I've worked on avionics and electrical systems on F-106 supersonic interceptors in the air force, I've built racing motorcycles from the frame up, I've worked on almost every kind of car there is. Heck I made a clock radio when I was 12 by running a wire from an old fashioned wind up alarm clock to my transistor radio.............my point is, I have worked on and built some shit baby, for a long time and I'm just picky. I can not stand a washer on the floor of my shop, or a cigarette butt on the ground within 500 feet of it. So obviously, I 'think' I know how to do things pretty elegantly, and made strongly etc. In aircraft and racing.....anything out of place, anything that can vibrate, or not filter properly etc.......all of that can bite you badly. ( and the stuff I see on some conversion work is a real joke ) Take a Cessna - extremely 'pure' in design and layout. There is nothing, but nothing on a small airplane that does not serve a real purpose. And they are inspected and maintained impeccably. They don't use an extra ounce of material for a part on an airplane, for example. Anyway...........those are the standards I shoot for - just elegant, and bullet proof........... And I'm hoping...........expecting actually..............that your kit, the whole system, and the Results are 'right there.' Shame that one guy has his Zetec parked for the winter. He wrote me a note. But mainly, I wanted to acknowledge your whole approach. Everyone else is just dicking around in comparison, if I have an accurate impression of what you are doing. Sorry to slam that one company , unnamed. ...........I really believe in being kind and helpful to each other, all of use. Scott

-----Original Message----- From: jakiba@bostig.com [mailto:jakiba@bostig.com] On Behalf Of Jim Akiba Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:14 AM To: Scott Daniel - Shazam Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: New VW/Chrysler Minivan Update

I appreciate the support Scott, I only ask you reserve judgment until you see/drive one in person, even though your current conclusion is positive for us. BTW what marks are you referring too on the pic? The pattern in the woven bamboo maybe? ha

Jim

On 1/16/08, Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > It's cute, what are those marks all over it - Bostig logo's ? > > Jim, I want to know if you got what I said about you....... > I said you were an Innovator, > That you bring vanagon engine conversions to a whole new level, that you are > upping the game considerably, > And that now that you've come along, and what you are doing .......... > 'All Before is Now Obsolete.' > > I don't give high grades easily, and I've never said that before about > anyone. > Scott > turbovans > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Jim Akiba > Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:23 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: New VW/Chrysler Minivan Update > > Or you can take a peek at my styling concept that I threw together > after I read your posted link.. > > http://www.bostig.com/files/VWrattan.jpg > > > oh no wait... it's ROUTan.. whoops > > Jim Akiba > > > > On 1/16/08, Todd <dermultivan@hotmail.com> wrote: > > The train-wreck that is the Chrysler/VW van steams every closer! Looks > like we'll get a peak at the styling next month. > > > > > http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080116/FREE/883228565/1 > 528/newsletter01 > > > > Todd > > 91 Orly Weekender > > > >