Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:29:24 -0500
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@WHISPLLC.COM>
Subject:      Re: What are my best PC GPS options?

Hi All In Regaurds to GPS and other stuff. Ive finally stepped up to the plate to make my 17 inch Dell do more work then just when I can plug it in. IM NOT a Techy so the learning curve is a bit longer for me. I purchase the Dell that Ive got about 6 months ago using Vista. I wanted to have my girls watch some DVDs in the westi during travel to keep the fighting at bay. Also gave be options of surfing the net and other things when we got to where we where going. Limited to WiFi. So found that the 2008 Microsoft GPS thing for plug in seemed like the way to go for a GPS so I didnt have to dump alot of money on another Electonic gizmo. Did it and so far seems nice havent used it much yet but seems like it will be nice. Also found a FM transmitter to plug into my laptop when watching DVDs or listening to downloated stored music on my laptop. The FM transmitter was only like 20.00 and transmitts to my FM stereo in the car so my kids can watch DVDs with better speakers and I can listen to my 80s alternative music at will any where I set it up. Then for X-mas my wife got me sirius radio. at the tune of 400 bones to listen to radio ( multiple docking stations in car and in home/garage also ). So being the goof ball I am I looked on line to find Loads of internet radio stations mostly free. I then made the executive decision to return the wonderful X-mas gift for a Air card by sprint. Which in the long run will cost more then sirius, But I can use any where with the FM transmitter. Plus I can now surf the net and watch Netflix for the kids while on the move. Get lost use the Built in GPS of the aircard and link to my GPS to tell me exactly where Im lost. Now of course my wife wants me to install skype so we can talk over the computer like we do at home. Havent stepped up to the plate on that one yet.

And All I really wanted was a Cell phone with Data link USB port to plug into my laptop and use my cell as an air card with GPS. Not avail yet from what Im told but I should be here by the time my sprint contract is up in a few years. All in good fun. Also BTW My Laptop is also on board for when I need to check my Bostig Zetec motor from what I under stand. Of course IM NO Techy! So I dont know if I can do that yet.

All fun and games till someone puts an Eye out!! C-ya Jonce

>One thing you might want to try is to see how well Windows 2000 will run >on those laptops. It is much more "light weight" than XP, but is light >years ahead of W98 as far as device connectivity. It also has the >advantage of being able to run much more current software than W98. >Also, to give you an idea of hardware requirements, I had it running >acceptably on an old Toshiba Libretto 100CT (Intel Pentium 166 MHz MMX, >64 MB RAM).

>David Marshall wrote: >> Volks, >> I have a couple of used laptops >> that can run Windows 98 well and Windows XP poorly that I want to put to >> good use. One of the things I want to do is install one of these >> into my LT 4x4 (it's almost a Vanagon - just bigger!) and the other in to >> my Syncro Westfalia along with a Garmin GPS-II+ and the serial data cable >> that I have for it. Our Touareg has a nav system so I won't worry >> about that! :-) Each laptop has a serial connection - I am not >> worried about OS loading times or really software loading times as the >> hybernation mode works well. >> >> Primary use will be for traveling >> the back country in western Canada - mainly British Columbia. I want >> to be able to draw on the map and save the information of where I have >> been. I want to be able to see on a map where I am. I would >> like to be able to scan a scale topographical map in or import it from >> somewhere on line and see where I am on the map as various zoom >> levels. Turn by turn voice navigation is not necessary, but would >> like an option - even a 2nd program recommendation for this would be >> great. >> >> The other plan that I have for these laptops is to use >> their 802.11 as a part of my home network - as each vehicle shows up at >> home, the main network will see new computers in the workgroup. I >> would then be able to upload new music and videos to these laptops as well >> as and new map data to be stored on my server. Of course the use of >> Skype when I am in town would be great too. On my LT I don't think I >> will install a radio - just a small Blaupunkt amp that I have and a >> attenuator or pre-amp to act as a volume control. Never listen to FM >> any more and my Sirius radio can go into the input of my laptop... >> >> Thanks in advance! >> >> David Marshall >>

Jonce Fancher

56 Single Cab 66 Sunroof Bug 66 Variant Squareback 66 Porsche 912 71 Sunroof Bus 84 Vanagon "Gottfried" 85 Vanagon Westi 2003 10 Passenger Sprinter

Fancher's Upholstery Inc. - www.fanchers.com Not-A-VW Club- http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransont3/notavwclub/