Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:42:49 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What are my best PC GPS options?
Comments: To: Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@gmail.com>

Hi all.

Was curious about GPS myself. Did some searching/reading on the TomTom's and the Garmins.

Found this on the Garmin 660

http://www.garminnuvi660.net/

(it's like 6-8 min long)

Not knocking the TT or touting the Garmins, but this video basically shows a user going through the features of the Garmin 660. I found it useful as a newbie to see a decent GPS in action.

Any Garmin users out there know if there are big diffs between the Garmin 650 and 660?

Cheers,

Neil.

On Jan 16, 2008 7:58 AM, Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@gmail.com> wrote: > I had a Garmin handheld GPS (which was stolen) --- it would work with a > laptop but I didn't like the cumbersomeness (if that is indeed a word) of > the arrangement. And the display on the GPS unit itself was way too small > for my aging eyes. > > My stepson recently bought a TomTom One for his car --- I've borrowed it a > number of times and I'm sold. They're about $250 Cdn --- nice big screen > that I can read while driving and a really good touchscreen interface that > is also usable while driving. Coverage and accuracy is good --- I have both > found and been navigated to some pretty obscure addresses and locations. And > it is sooo much more convenient than messing around with a laptop. > > Don't know for sure about the backroads coverage but my experience with the > TomTom is that if you can find the road on a map it's going to be in the > TomTom. May not apply to the backroads of BC --- but worth checking into. My > experience with the logging/backroads of BC when I lived there is that I > could find them on a map and they had names/designations --- which suggests > to me that they'd be in the TomTom. YMMV of course........... > > Cheers, > Doug > Mississauga, Ontario, Canada > > > > On 1/15/08, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > I'm glad to hear that Delorme has improved the coverage in Canada. The > > issue Dave was trying to address is coverage in more remote areas, > > specifically he was asking about the interior of BC. Here in the States I > > didn't have any complaints about the coverage on the Delorme. But on a > > trip > > two years ago I ran the laptop most every day for three weeks. I > > alternated > > between Streets & Trips and Delorme software. And I'll stick to my > > opinion > > that the Delorme software sucks, a really bad user interface for any > > searching or planning. I found it very frustrating and ended up using > > only > > Streets & Trips for the last week of the trip. But, given that, I found > > both > > very poor for use in town. Both got lost and gave wrong directions when > > driving in traffic if the signal was lost for a few seconds. If you > > pulled > > up to a stop light neither could figure out what direction you were going > > when standing still and started providing directions that were all wrong. > > In a severe test, getting to a friends place in Kennsington, Ca. (next to > > Berkley) I'd still be driving in circles if I hadn't known where I was > > going. Summing up so far, unless you have a second person on board to act > > as navigator the laptop based systems fall far short. Dedicated units > > meant > > for use in vehicles seem to be a much better solution. BUT, those tend to > > lack the detailed coverage in the boonies, are set up for urban > > navigation. > > BTW, to any reading this, I'm all ears for any better solutions that have > > been found. My experience is limited at this point. > > > > On Jan 15, 2008 11:48 AM, Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net> wrote: > > > > > I don't know what year the DeLorme software you tried was from but the > > > 2008 version has greatly increased Canadian coverage. I used the 2008 > > > Street Atlas Plus and even the small streets (and phone numbers) in > > > Almonte as well as Head of St. Margaret's Bay and Halifax were shown. > > > Apparently, all of Canada is shown that way but those places are where I > > > really used it. The version I had before that only showed "most" of > > > Canada's main highways. > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > http://www.dougalcock.com >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

Engine swap beginings: http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/