Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:31:39 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter system woes
Comments: To: TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@gmail.com>

This is a very common problem. You should be able to find quite a bit in the archives. I believe that one or more of the vendors sells a "hard start relay" kit. The problem is caused by a marginal design, resistance at the start terminals in the ignition switch, aged wiring with corroded connections, gummed up solenoid, vanagon gremlins, or any combination of these. The solution is usually to put a hefty relay in a location near the starter, like under the back seat. When activated, it should make a connection between the large positive terminal on the solenoid and the start terminal. The wire that originally connected to the start terminal is used to activate the relay, so the relay is the only load on the circuit from the ignition switch. My own measurements indicate that the solenoid coil draws about 37 amps, so I feel that the relay should be rated for 50 A or more. Dennis Haynes has expressed concern that arcing at the relay contacts might weld them together and keep the starter running. I have not seen any reports of this happening. I believe he recommended a special type of relay which is used in some RVs.

HTH Larry A.