Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:09:40 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: bashing was: vanagon engine conversions
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@gmail.com>

Hi Jeff,

You'd think so. Practicality is not sexy. Sexy sells. Big 'macho me a real man' sells. Look at the commercials. The commercials are 'education' that in order to be a 'real American' to be a real man, and to tow your 'really big, real man, toys' you NEED this oversized vehicle.

They are not selling trucks. The are selling IMAGE ........and they have it down too. All the men in the truck ads are rugged looking, construction workers, happy American ones ......the message is over and over and over ...........about Image, how the consumer sees themselves as the owner of this truck, this macho all American image maker thing, that will carry a some things too. Which is incidental to their real purpose - jobs + machoism.

It's almost subliminal and sexual even .........huge load just plopped into the bed, ...truck just shrugs it off. It's psychological.

And you can BET that advertising people, and that's ALL they do, is advertising , have it down to science how to make people see themselves in that product. It's not about trucks at all. Its about sex and image.

Do they ever advertise vehicles showing them stuck in traffic jams? Not very often. Is anyone ever upset, or bored, and angry in a car commercial ? no, they are happy and 's u c c e s s f u l ' world conquering a m e r i c a n s.. etc etc.

I'd want to make a car very basic, easy to work on, with parts that would never wear out.

It could be thought, that now there's space in the market place for a 'radical newer more fuel effeicine smaller pickup ' ....and something will come out. Never mind that the Toyota pick up was that in 1978,, the Hi Lux.

It's ALL marketing and hype.

What appears to offer the most sex appeal and features 'that you just must have' at the lowest price.

I often think..............if someone could get an objective view, say they went into a comma in 1985 and a Toyota pick up was what they considered normal ( that was right before ford started the round nose, high cowl first F-150's ...they had a strangley high hood and cowl at the time ) ....if they woke up now, and saw your regular standard 2007 F-150 ................they'd laugh their ass off ( hope that's not too 'bad' language for this group ) .............they'd see it as an oversize caricature, like we do monster pickups at monster pick-uip events.........completely out of proportion for it's purpose. The new giant, ( built in Texas ) Tundra's just ugly and stupid to me.

Tell me, what do these giant pickups do, that regular size ones don't ? more off road ground clearance ? ok, better view down the road to see better..........sure. near 5 foot lift height to the bed ..........dumb !!! fuel economy- hardly.

Anyway...........maybe they'll wake up someday. And how big will they get ?? it does seem that we could be reaching a crisis point re war in the middle east, oil prices, real estate crash, a new president coming in, and global warming.

The days for American indulgence hopefully will be ending.

And the silly thing is, companies like ford and hundreds of workers are gong to in soup lines.

And, I've known forever it was silly to overproduce, and they do, they over produce like crazy, then create demand, if the can, to use up the overproduction.

On subaruvanagon today Brian of smallcar posted the real cost of car production, in terms of global environmental impact. It's obscene. The manufacturing cost, what a vehicle emits during it's life, the recycling real costs ...........it's just awful . But humans do some dumb things, very genius in many ways, completely dysfunctional in many others, and we are extremely lucky for where we live, and that we can get food and gas, and there are not bombs falling, ( brilliantly engineered satellite guided bombs that are really, really good at killing people - humans are really smart all right. ) . whew.

It's a wonder we are all as sane as we are.

Scott

-----Original Message----- From: Jeff Lincoln [mailto:magikvw@gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:42 PM To: Scott Daniel - Shazam Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: bashing was: vanagon engine conversions

I think it's just stupid how giant new pick up trucks are, utterly dumb, burn lots of gas, very high lift level to the bed, and they are largely used

as 'one person cars' really. Imagine how much fuel is wasted every day by those things hauling around just one person. Where I am, any regular 'mill worker type' male drives a huge pick up, like it was a one person commute car. Like that's the 'normal car' around here almost. Scott

I've been wondering myself why pick ups have gotten so huge. I think a car company might be able to make a mint if they produced a normal "old school" type pick up. You know not S10 small but "normal" Then again what do I know?

-- Thanks,

Jeff '90 Carat (Grover) '86 (We call this one Parts) '85 GL (Preparing to move to a new Home) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus