Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:05:40 -0800
From:         Nunya Business <bulletheadx@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: bashing was: vanagon engine conversions

I was coming out of the grocery store recently and saw a woman with a kid trying to get into this monstrous lifted 4x4 pickup, all blinged out; bedliner, mudflaps with chrome reclining babes, etc. She had to boost the kid up over her head to get him in the cab and then pass the bags up to him. When she got in she looked like somebody climbing one of those fake rock walls. My first thought was 'wow, she married badly...'. Made me think about the Foxworthy joke about his sister spinning the wheel of marriage and getting 'bass fisherman'.

I'd bet my last buck that that dude would no more take that thing offroad then fly in it. You couldn't realistically tow with it, and you know nothing ever got near it that might god-forbid put a ding in it like a tool.

I also thought about a couple of articles I read, one about how if you had bought Subaru stock equal to the purchase price of a Subaru back when they first really came out in the US, about 15-18 years later you'd have been a stock millionaire. The other I saw more recently about how car expenditures were the single greatest financial drain on a household and if the average household kept a car for 10-12 years instead of the average 4-5 and invested the savings they'd be able to retire much earlier and better and so on. If that chucklehead had invested the money he wasted on that truck maybe he could afford to send that kid to college someday.

Cya, Robert

On 1/16/08, Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote: > > I was behind one of those leviathans recently carrying a single > drool-choked > hillbilly fresh off of his sister with the sticker in the rear window > "Burning gas and hauling ass." > Where I live, not only do the normal genetically-deficient rednecks drive > them, but white collar software engineer government workers have adopted > these silly-assed trucks as proof of manhood as well. > > I've never seen more than one or two a month with anything in the bed, > fewer > than that with more than one person in them. In my neighborhood, you can > hardly talk on a phone outside the house because of the incessant noise of > these behemoths roaring through the stops signs, daring anyone or anything > to cross their paths. > > You won't be able to get more than a couple of hundred bucks for any of > them > in a few more years. I'll be chuckling. > > > Jim > > > > On Jan 16, 2008 9:42 PM, Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@gmail.com> wrote: > > > I think it's just stupid how giant new pick up trucks are, utterly > dumb, > > > > burn lots of gas, very high lift level to the bed, and they are > > largely > > > > used > > > > as 'one person cars' really. Imagine how much fuel is wasted every > > day > > > > by > > > > those things hauling around just one person. Where I am, any > regular > > > > 'mill > > > > worker type' male drives a huge pick up, like it was a one person > > > > commute > > > > car. Like that's the 'normal car' around here almost. > > > > Scott > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I've been wondering myself why pick ups have gotten so huge. I think a > car > > company might be able to make a mint if they produced a normal "old > > school" > > type pick up. You know not S10 small but "normal" Then again what do I > > know? > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > Thanks, > > > > > > Jeff > > > '90 Carat (Grover) > > > '86 (We call this one Parts) > > > '85 GL (Preparing to move to a new Home) > > > '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus > > > > > >