Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:40:13 -0600
From:         Ben Cichowski <aquasheck@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch weirdness 84 standard trans ?
Comments: To: "dhanson@gorge.net" <dhanson@gorge.net>

Hi Don,

Ken sounds right on for my experience as well. I just replaced my slave and clutch master cylinder about 2 months ago after some intermittent "soft pedal" of my own. I took the advice of the group and replaced both at the same time - it is not much more money and if one is failing, the second is probably not far behind.

FWIW, (and from my own experience), I'd suggest picking parts your parts wisely. The clutch master cylinder I took out was NEW (only 5K old or so, and the PO said it was soft from the beginning)... total junk. I got my new parts from Ken - the guy is always helping people out, and I have to tell you, there was no comparison between the quality new ones from him and the old ones I took out. You could tell just by holding the two clutch master cylinders in your hands that the new one was a better made item.

I can send you a set of "instructions" if you'd like, that will get you through from start to finish, it is a pretty easy job. I took group advice on using a pressure bleeder as well - they are not expensive (less than $50) and will save a lot of time and do a better job. I think a lot of folks are using vacuum bleeders as well. I haven't used one myself, but I did read a few articles suggesting that vacuum bleeders have the potential for screwing up the seals in your clutch master cylinder if done improperly. Again, those are not my words, just what I read.

-Ben

_________________________________________________________________ Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser!! http://biggestloser.msn.com/