Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:51:43 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Defroster vents always open?
Comments: To: Mark Tuovinen <mst@ak.net>

heh heh...

Reminds me of my first trip in my Westy through Eastern Washington. Air cooled engine, no heat, (except for the small 12V heater with a relay that kept turning the element off), me desperately searching for a campsite at 9 PM, gaining altitude, seeing snow, and nothing but COLD air blasting in through almost all the vents!

Duct tape was used post haste to cover all the vents!

Neil.

On 1/17/08, Mark Tuovinen <mst@ak.net> wrote: > If like Neil mentioned you find that the problem is deteriorated foam on the vent doors the cheaters fix is to put something over the top vents, most anything with a little weight will do, a pair of gloves, small book, etc. I have used my Leatherman tool in a pinch. A more functional but still short term fix would be to use refrigerator magnets, I have one that was a calender that could be cut into enough pieces to cover all four top vent openings. It is not pretty but will work until you have the time and weather to pull the dash and replace the foam on the vent doors. As an added bonus you can adjust the magnets to allow airflow when and where you want it. > > Mark in AK > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> > Date: Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:32 am > Subject: Defroster vents always open? > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > Getting a mite cold up in the mountains around San Diego these days. > > Weather Service is promising 38F day, 28F night. Cold air leaks > > are not > > welcome right now. > > > > I notice that the dash (defroster) vents on the dash seem to be always > > open. I removed the glove box and peered upward and see that the upper > > ventilation control moves a lever on the side of some plastic air > > vent-looking assembly up there, so the cable seems to be working. What > > else could cause air to always come out those vents? (1984) > > > > -- > > Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott > > 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus > > 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") > > 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano > > KG6RCR > > >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

Engine swap beginings: http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/