Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:51:23 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thermostat gasket?
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@YAHOO.COM>

Hi. Short answer is 'no.' If you are figuring to just removed the top, where the 'stat is, there's just an o-ring. If you take the whole thing off, there's an o-ring there too where the housing joins the head. The sensors have 0-rings too, and they do get hard and leak. I'll remind you that if you use stainless screws to secure the top, And one breaks off, you'll never drill out the remains. And .........stainless is not stronger . I do this full time professionally, have worked aircraft and raced cars and motorcycles since the 60's and I sure wouldn't use stainless screws there. Just put a good anti-seize on the screws. It's harder to find, but the copper based stuff. Stainless is only good for certain applications........... Namely pipes as in coolant pipes or exhaust, or where appearance is the requirement. It's not titanium, lots of things are not perfect about stainless steel at all. It is not impervious to corrosion, for example. It's terrible to drill. Welds nicely, but is nasty to cut. Tends to crack. I'll just keep saying this over and over - look at what the manufacturers do. They seldom use stainless screws. I wouldn't. Do whatever you want of course. Those plastic thermostat housings...........they only last about 15 years - they warp, they melt, etc. I have a whole slew of tricks on getting the screws out without spinning the brass nuts in the plastic housing, but that's another topic. Scott www.turbovans.com