Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:59:00 -0800
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GPS for farsighted eyes?

RE: Reading Glasses for the Laptop GPS in the Vanagon Drifting a little off topic here but hell, it's Friday. I've worn glasses (near sighted) since i was seven years old and since they stay on all time (and with habits built up over the many years) I don't have much trouble loosing or breaking them. BUT, solutions for being able to see the laptop screen or even read the dash instruments? Well, for those in the 40 years plus range it starts to be a problem and if you don't already wear glasses all the time the only solution is custom made glasses. These can be had from a number of sources (can't link to any right now) but custom glasses can be made. The competitive shooting community has some pretty exotic combinations made up especially for shooters getting on in age. In my case the progressive lenses are a very good solution for on the road, no dividing line in the lens to look under or over, just look where you want to see and they provide the correct correction. My personal case is even more critical since I've had lens implants (cataracts) in both eyes now and the fake lenses, although giving tack sharp vision, have no accommodation, can't focus except at infinity. Therefore a reading correction is mandatory. And for viewing the computer screen I have +2.00 clip ons that I use. Made them up myself to start, now have store bought. But like many others I've found the use of the laptop while on the road a mixed blessing. Best software BUT very distracting to try to see while driving, just plain damn dangerous. That's why I've said several times on the lists that the laptop is for use by a co-pilot, not a Vanagon driver. Which brings us to the dedicated units. There is a local Vanagon fanatic (sorry Curt) that has the Garmin 7200, monster 7" screen and the Garmin 60cx (cs? ) and finds pro and con on both. He's very impressed with the handheld, it will even load the topo maps, very complete coverage, fast and easy to use. I damn near bought one a while back myself. The 7200 is great when mounted on the dash and also does it's job very well. But can't load the topo maps to it. A few months ago, after somone on the lists pointed it out, I bought a Pioneer AVICS-1, 4" screen, dash mounted. Set it up and used it on a three week trip last fall. Conclusion: Probably fine for in city navigation and works on the highways just fine, great for knowing what's around the next turn even. BUT, the POI database is lousy (unless you want to find the nearest Burgerking, used it that way once) but can't find Glacier Park! Once in the park it could tell me I was on Loop B in the campground, but didn't know there was a campground! No campgrounds in the searchable database! You will notice this is the first time I've mentioned this unit since the thread started on GPS, I can't recommend it at all for the kind of use most on this list would want it for.