Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:44:20 -0800
From:         VW Doka <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Salvage Title Consequences

Ah... I currently do not have a salvage title vehicle, but I have had a few in the past.

In my experiences, there was no problem for liability only, but full coverage required a vehicle inspection. Come to think of it, I think I had to have a vehicle inspection on my Audi A8 when I insured it, and it has a clean title. I guess the insurance company wanted to make sure it wasn't pre-crashed. Only took 5 minutes. It could be a standard process for certain insurance companies when providing full coverage on a used vehicle.

Cheers,

Jeff

-----Original Message----- From: Scott Daniel - Shazam [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 1:31 PM To: 'VW Doka' Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: Salvage Title Consequences

But in the eyes of insurance companies, That's the guy's real question . That's what he wants addressed.

Many salvage title vehicles here in California are the result of being sold at a charity auction. This is especially common among Vanagons due to their propensity for failing emissions. Owners get fed up with the smog process and donate their Vanagon to charity. If the vehicle fails the emissions test for the charity, they end up selling it as a salvage title. By selling under a salvage title, they remove their liability that the vehicle is safe and/or will pass emissions.

But you are right, the salvage title definitely decreases the value of the vehicle.

Cheers,

Jeff