Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:30:26 -0500
From:         Mike S <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC: Type 1 case
Comments: To: Mike <mbucchino@charter.net>

I'm in Michigan.

The saddles are 65 mm dia, which I think is stock. He didn't bring the crank home, but said it looks good. #1 bearing saddle is pounded, and would probably be fine with a 0.5 oversize. The problem is the thrust surface (and dowel pin hole) are really bad - the flywheel side of the thrust surface is pounded in about 1.65 mm. I think thrust cuts only go to 2.0 oversize, and must be centered (1 mm per side), so it's not doable without welding (if that is even possible or desirable).

It's a AJ case (AS21 - fuel injected, no fuel pump hole) case, so finding one of those would be ideal. I was mistaken, it's a '75, not a '74.

He may just end up having to get a new case (and a fuel pump block off).

He bought this knowing there were engine problems - lots of endplay. He's rebuilding it as a high school auto class semester project.

At 05:53 PM 1/18/2008, Mike wrote... >Have you had it checked by a competent, experienced aircooled VW >machinist? >It may be fixable, depending on the current oversize, thrust area, >total depth of the damaged areas of the bearing saddle, etc. Even the >destroyed dowel pin and hole is repairable. There are many other >areas that need to be inspected for case reconditioning, also, to >determine if it's doable or junk. > I have some cases here in MA, where are you? > >Mike B. > >----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike S" <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM> >To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 4:54 PM >Subject: NVC: Type 1 case > > >>I'm asking for my son, who recently bought and is restoring a '74 >>Beetle. His #1 bearing spun. >> >>Anyone have a decent AS21 or fuel injection (late AS41) Type 1 case >>for >>sale, relatively cheap?